FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDI to HDMI mini converter - no output

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bala Chandran
SDI to HDMI mini converter - no output
on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:04:27 pm

I connect an SDI to HDMI mini converter from Sony EX1 EX3 cameras to an HD monitor. No video is showing on the monitor. I tried SD and HD, no luck. Got the unit replaced by another one (from B&H)just in case, still no video. Any suggestions? Can two units be bad in a row? Tried two cameras and three monitors.
Thanks
-BC

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
Re: SDI to HDMI mini converter - no output
on Dec 12, 2010 at 10:59:38 pm

We had a similar problem and discovered it wasn't certified for all HDMI monitors (especially Acer and LG) but OK on Viewsonic and Asus.

But we upgraded it to a HDLINK Pro and it worked on everything.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Dec 12, 2010 at 11:48:38 pm

Thanks, but I just tried ViewSonic, Samsung and Gateway. No picture. Tried changing BNC cables and HDMI cables. Tried changing EX1 and EX3 cameras. Two units bad in a row then! Don't know what to do now. I need to have SDI to HDMI from my EX3 because the component from EX3 got spoiled.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 13, 2010 at 9:53:02 pm

Hrm, it seems unlikely that you received two "bad" units.

More likely there is an incompatibility between the monitor. Are these monitors DVI based monitors or HDMI? Are you using an adapter? I can be important. DVI is RGB and the HDMI signal out of the Mini Converter will be YUV. Most of the times the device will handle the translation but at times the monitors will not (if they are DVI only, in this case using a HDMI to DVI adapter will not work).

As Sam mentioned a solution to this could be to use the HDLink Pro instead as it's output is DVI and might be better suited to connect to those monitors.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:38:55 pm

Hello Joshua
Thank you for the reply. I tried the following monitors:
Vizio M190VA, Viewsonic N1630W, Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM/HS, Gateway FHD 2400 and Philips/Magnavox 15MF227B.
All are with direct HDMI input. A 10' BNC cable from Sony EX1/EX3 cameras to BM Mini Converter and a 2' HDMI cable from Mini to monitor. Both cables are tested and working. Tried more cables. No other converter adapters anywhere. No DVI involved. I have only two cameras to test, and I doubt if both my cameras are not outputting SDI. I tried switching between HD and SD in the camera - no go.
Please suggest. Thanks
-BC

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:13:10 pm

Okay..that is beyond crazy.

So the only other thing I can thing about is that the signal that is being output from the camera may not be supported by the monitor directly. Because the miniconveter doesn't actually change the format maybe this is the issue.

Can you set the camera to do another resolution? Or can you try a different source?

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Dec 14, 2010 at 11:18:46 pm

Hello Joshua

We had this problem a few months ago with a client. My boss (Baz, who you know) did some testing and got the client to bring in all the monitors he was having trouble with along with the mini converter.
While the mini converter worked on 'most' of our monitors it didn't work on the clients. AND he was using a Sony EX 1 camera.
But when he hooked up our HDLinkPro it worked on everything. Client was so happy he went out and traded in the mini converter for a HDLink and is very happy now.
We have had similar problems with Multibridge DVI out to the monitors DVI in; the picture breaks up and sometimes won't work at all. But if we use a DVI to HDMI cable and go into the monitor using its HDMI input it is rock solid.

Sam Cole
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:13:01 pm

Thank you Sam. At least my cameras should be good. I just ordered HDLink Pro from B&H. Hopefully that works.
@Joshua, I have tried different resolutions earlier on in the ordeal with no success. I am surprised that so many monitors can be incompatible with a unit that's supposed to work with HDMI input monitors. Is something fundamentally different with the EX1/3 SDI signal compared to other sources? Well I am hopeful that the Pro works. Although I am not sure how bulky that unit is. I need the monitor for field work, not in the studio.
Thank you.
-BC

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Dec 16, 2010 at 12:14:12 am

Bala - we have a monitor kit we use with our location gear. It uses a 22" Viewsonic monitor (1920x1080) and a HDLinkPro and it all packs into a small case. We use it with out Sony EX 1. The HDLinkPro is also very small (slightly larger than the Mini converter) and if that doesn't work for you then you have major issues elsewhere.
We have set up over 6 of these systems for other camera operators here and all are working well.

Sam Cole
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:25:13 pm

Thank you Sam.
I use two Vizio 16" monitors (great monitors for the purpose) with my EX1 and EX3 for dance recital recording. I put the light-weight monitors on music stands! One day I setup the monitor, connected component cables from EX3 and left the room. Came back in 5 minutes and the monitor was on the floor (for not securing properly) Screen was cracked thru the middle, connector panel dangling out, screen frame dislocated etc. Pushed it all back in thinking that the monitor is gone but wanted to try anyway. Then realized the EX3 component socket had come off loose and was not working. The $190 monitor still works fine with other component inputs but the $10,000 EX3 component socket came loose and stopped working! Someone else who had a similar problem in another forum said that it cost nearly $1000 and months of wait to get it fixed. I hope the HDLink Pro works for me.
-BC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]