FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing Across Platforms

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Peterson
Capturing Across Platforms
on Nov 29, 2010 at 9:45:10 pm

I have a client asking me to capture from DVCPRO HD tapes and some HDV tapes which I will need to use my BMD card on my PC to capture. The trouble is that he is using a Mac and FCP. What is the best way to capture these so that they are cross platform compatible? Are PC and Mac versions of the codec still incompatible? Is there another workflow that I can use that doesn't involve transcoding?

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
Re: Capturing Across Platforms
on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:58:03 pm

Interesting ... I wasn't even aware that the Mac and PC versions of the codec were incompatible. I can tell you though, that I've used the Intensity Pro to capture uncompressed 8-bit footage on a PC, and when it was brought over to my Mac for editing in FCP, it had to first have it's color space converted in the metadata. Someone at Blackmagic had provided me with an Application for Mac which handles the conversion automatically (it doesn't recompress the data, just alters the metadata), but it didn't work for every file, usually files over 12 GB in size I think caused problems.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Capturing Across Platforms
on Dec 3, 2010 at 12:37:09 pm

Hi Tracy,

What codec does your client want them to be in?

The best compatibility will be 10-bit uncompressed. They both use the same FourCC on Windows and Mac.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]