FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sudden Change in capture with Intensity Pro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Williams
Sudden Change in capture with Intensity Pro
on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:35:42 am

Not sure if that subject line is clear or not, but here's the problem...

I have been using my Intensity pro card to capture video using the HDMI port from my Dish Network DVR...I produce a sports show and use the DVR to record games...any way, today when I went to capture the highlights for the show I could only capture with the 1080 60i setting using the Media Express tool. The Media Express Tool wouldn't recognize the video (black screen) if I tried to set it to 1080 59.94i like I normally use). I have been capturing video this way for the past 2 years using this set up and today it's different. Last time I used this was 2 weeks ago and it worked fine.

The problem is that I am using an HDV 1080i timeline and when I dropped the highlights in the timeline there is a noticeable interlacing issue. I notice it both on my computer monitor and my output monitor as well, so I'm pretty sure it's not just a figment of my imagination. One other piece of info I transcoded the uncompressed files to ProRes to save on the size in my project, but again I have used ProRes or some times DVCProHD for a long time with no major issues.

Due to the "NEW" settings I can't even capture it using FCP, since it doesn't have a setting that will recognize the 1080 60i video that I am apparently now recording.

Here's some set up info:
Mac Pro - Final Cut 7
Intensity Pro 3.7.3 now upgraded to 3.9.1
Media Express 2.1 now upgraded to 2.2

None of my system settings have changed. There may have been a Pro Apps update in the last 2 weeks, but I'm not positive. Otherwise the system was off for most of the last 14 days because I was out of town.

Anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions? Like I said this system has been working like a charm for a long time. Normally if I have a problem with FCP not recognizing the video a quick restart, or a plug and unplug the HDMI cable does the trick. No trick is working so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

Thanks,

-Jay

Parker Street Productions LLC
Madison, WI USA
http://www.ParkerStreetPro.tv

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: Sudden Change in capture with Intensity Pro
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:08:32 am

If Media Express now only recognizes your DVR as 1080i 60 then that's what your DVR is putting out. If you were getting 1080i 59.94 before, then someone/something changed the output resolution on your DVR. It could have been an OTA (over the air) DVR software update, or someone messing with your DVR output settings

Return to posts index

Jay Williams
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:54:45 am

Thanks Chad. I was hoping it wasn't something like that. Ive been up and down with the settings from my DVR and nowhere does it seem like the 1080 p or i is something I can select.

I'm working on getting my Matrox MXO2 LE working to test the output from the DVR. Preliminary testing seemed to indicate I could capture in either on the Matrox box. Don't have enough experience with it to know what that means exactly, but I wanted to see what I might be able to do on that end.

I really like the intensity pro card. It has faithfully served me for 2 years or so. But I might need to find a better way. Since the Media Express doesn't really have a good option for recording 1080 60p. Just uncompressed which ended up being about 100 GB of space. Can't afford those type of files sitting around. When I transcoded them to prores there ends up being some interlacing issue that makes the video unusable. So I ended up using the uncompressed stuff anyway which looks good but I can't sustain that space usage for the final 20 weeks of my show.

-Jay

Madison, WI USA

Return to posts index

Jay Williams
on Dec 3, 2010 at 8:33:47 am

I heard back from Blackmagic and they suggested rolling back the driver to the previous version 3.7.3 I believe. Also had to roll back the Media Express driver as well. I'm happy to say I'm back in business with the Intensity Pro.

-Jay

Madison, WI USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]