FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Intensity Shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt cramer
Black Magic Intensity Shuttle
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:20:06 pm

Just bought this and realized I need to update to USB 3.0.

I'm wondering if my motherboard is strong enough to run this. here is the specs to my computer will someone let me know if there is anything else I need to update?

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668659.php

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle
on Nov 4, 2010 at 10:08:27 pm

Sorry to tell you this, but Blackmagic is very spicific on the hardware needed for the Shuttle. There's only a few motherboards that do. It HAS to have an x58 or x55 chipset and a USB 3 port, or an Express slot that can handle the bandwidth of a USB 3 card and the Shuttles required bandwidth. I built an i7 930 6 gig ram Asus P6X58D Premium mother board, already had USB 3. I had to also update the NEC USB 3 firmware and software ( clearly stated in the Shuttle specs). It works great with my Shuttle. Danny Hays

Return to posts index

Bob Haber
Re: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle
on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:39:00 am

The problem with the H57 chipset compared to the P55 is that it can't support expansion cards other than one video card at full PCI-e 2.0 speed. Here's a good explanation:
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/i55h-57h-chipsets-p1.html

If you had an x4 slot available you might be able to get it to work with an x4 USB3.0 adapter, but you don't have that.

You should probably return it and get an Intensity Pro which will work in the available PCIe x1 slot.

Once more motherboards are available that can support full speed PCI-e 2.0 on their X1 slots, the Shuttle should be more compatible. It's not certain whether Blackmagic will update the specification page or not, though. For example, the AMD 890FX and 890GX have full speed PCI-e 2.0 plus the NEC USB3 chip optionally onboard and should work with the Shuttle, but they are not mentioned.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]