FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will a usb3 external drive be fast enough for HD capture from a Decklink HD Extreme?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marc khachfe
Will a usb3 external drive be fast enough for HD capture from a Decklink HD Extreme?
on Oct 17, 2010 at 12:02:18 am

Hi all, im just about to buy a Decklink HD Extreme 3D and was wondering if this drive:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2TB-Freecom-Hard-Drive-XS-USB-30-offering-up...

will be fast enough to capture 1080 footage to? I realise of course that i wont get much onto only 2TB but its just to start with, until i save more for a proper storage unit. This card is only the first purchase that i will be doing in the next 6 months, so for now, will only be used for monitoring and compositing from After Effects. I do FX work, so the footage is never that long anyway.

So, what do you guys think? If not, can you recommend a £250-£300 solution? Or less preferably.

Thanks guys

Marc

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
Re: Will a usb3 external drive be fast enough for HD capture from a Decklink HD Extreme?
on Oct 18, 2010 at 4:40:42 pm

a single drive probably not... I have been using a usb3 drive with sata 3 and a sata 3 drive... maximum read speed... 110 read and only
80 write.. not quite fast enough. you would probaly need at least a 3 drive raid.. K

Return to posts index

marc khachfe
Re: Will a usb3 external drive be fast enough for HD capture from a Decklink HD Extreme?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 10:54:02 pm

Really? I guess USB3 probably isnt the miracle solution then. Thanks for the reply. I'll just have to work harder and save up more money then

Marc

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:22:44 am

USB 3 is more than fast enough. It's the read and write speed of the single drive that is slowing you down... If you hook up a 3 or 4 drive usb3 raid(or any other type of multiple drive raid) you should have more than enough speed to capture uncompressedor compressed hd... Ken

Return to posts index

marc khachfe
on Oct 31, 2010 at 2:23:31 am

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the replies guys.

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]