FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle - 2.5GB/s chipsets supported

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chase Herbert
Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle - 2.5GB/s chipsets supported
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:05:40 am

High guys, first post here so hopefully it's in the right forum.

Now to the topic.

I am very interested in the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. I think what it offers is awesome and was very seriously considering buying one for HDMI capture until I saw the requirements of the x58 or p55 motherboards.
Unfortunately I purchased a laptop recently, with on board USB 3.0, but with only a 2.5GB/s chipsets - Intel HM55.

Now I read on this thread here http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/874796 (end of second post) that BM may be thinking of "possibly saving bandwidth by not simultaneously outputting at the same time your capturing" in order to allow use of the Intensity Shuttle on 2.5GB/s chipsets.

This would be absolutely brilliant! I think many users would be happy to be able to use this wonderful product even though only being able to input/output at one time.

Many laptops come with built in HDMI ports, so simultaneous input/ouput could still be achieved - HDMI input via Intensity Shuttle, HDMI output via HDMI port.
Maybe if the limit focuses on HDMI input/output only, meaning that HDMI capture and say component/composite playback could still be achieved (I believe the bandwidth of 2.5GB/s is enough for this even at 1080p30 input).

Anyway, I hope this thread stirs up some response and hopefully support for a firmware update to this awesome product to allow those of us with slightly limited hardware to still use this!

Cheers,
Chase

Return to posts index

Chase Herbert
Re: Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle - 2.5GB/s chipsets supported
on Oct 26, 2010 at 9:49:45 am

Bump...

Also, how do I edit my posts?

Return to posts index

Cleiber Goulda
on Dec 27, 2010 at 12:58:31 am

Difficult to get answers here from the BM folks. None of my posts have been answered by them. I have found answers to similar topics in other forums that came from BM even though they didn't post here (the supposedly "official" forum) about it...

I gather they have been working to try to find out laptops that work with these USB 3.0 machines (Shuttle, Ultrastudio, etc...), but the only one that apparently worked well so far was the HP Envy 15" (even though it is not a native USB3.0 machine) and it is now discontinued. Read elsewhere that the Envy 17 had not worked. The newer Envy 14 doesn't yet go up to 1080 res, so it probably wouldn't be a good choice.

I do hope that they find some laptop soon that will work with this product. If they could switch off the duplex, that would probably make it much easier for the current machines to handle. I am waiting for news on this to buy my (much needed) next laptop so hope that we have some news soon.

Return to posts index

Chase Herbert
on Dec 28, 2010 at 3:31:52 am

"If they could switch off the duplex, that would probably make it much easier for the current machines to handle."

I totally agree. It seems like a sound option, one that shouldn't be too hard to implement (I imagine) and would open up the market to a lot more people.

Especially when most laptops have an on board HDMI output now, I can't see why having HD input/output simultaneously available on the Intensity Shuttle is necessary.

I hope someone of some importance gets back to us soon on the latest news, as I am waiting out to buy the Shuttle for my laptop with on board USB 3.0 on 2.5 chipset.

Return to posts index

Neville Eldridge
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:09:14 am

The Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle will become an essential product for people, like me, and obviously others, who have purchased notebook computers for video editing. I have an Canon HV20 and just purchased an ASUS G73JW notebook with an HM55 chipset. As this notebook does not have a Firewire port (and more and more will this become the case) I have now found myself in no-mans land to capture HDV from tape.

If Blackmagic could enable HDV capture from HDV tape based cameras like the Canon HV20 via HDMI to USB 3.0 on 2.5 GB/Sec chipsets like the HM55, I think it would open up a capability that many users now need.

I fully support Chase's plea.

Cheers,

Neville

Return to posts index

Cleiber Goulda
on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:22:21 am

Neville,

Meanwhile, I would definitely suggest the purchase of a firewire card for your notebook, before they disappear. Don't know what your ASUS uses, but it is probably PCI Express? HDV bandwidth (compressed on the tape) is <30 Mbps - you would be saving a tremendous amount of HD space (and headaches as well, I wager) by ingesting those tapes in HDV format instead of uncompressed.

Although I agree that these BD units should support <3Gbps chipsets, my experience has shown that ingesting full HD is a "major" even for fully-decked desktops. I doubt a notebook would be able to ingest at that bitrate in any case without a serious RAID 0 array on the eSATA port, and/or without real-time compression like MJPEG. Might as well deal with the HDV on the disk instead of that kind of workaround.

Just my $0.02...

Cleiber

Return to posts index

Neville Eldridge
on Jan 5, 2011 at 11:52:42 pm

Hi Cleiber,

Thank you for your response. My notebook is actually an ASUS G73JW (purchased because of its specs - I7, Windows 7 64bit, 8Gb RAM, 1.5Gb graphics card, 2x500Gb 7200 RPM HDD). Unfortunately it does not have a PCI port, hence my dilemma.

I have another fairly old Toshiba M30 laptop that does have a Firewire port but its specs are not up to video editing (1.6 GHz centrino, 120Gb HDD, 2Gb RAM, not sure about the graphics card). I am barely getting away with it as a "capture" machine and transferring the files after capture (cumbersome). I have to be very careful to ensure the video I capture does not drop frames. There is also some jerky behaviour as well on PD7 as I capture the video but this is probably the video card). It is all I can do at the moment.

I am hoping the shuttle will solve this dilemma when it is released for 2.5Gb chipsets. I just want to capture my HDV straight into my new laptop via HDMI output from the camcorder (albeit only 1440 x 1080).

Thanks for your help. I am so looking forward to Blackmagic's 2.5Gb release of the shuttle. I hope it's in the pipeline and not a pipe dream.

Neville

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]