FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed vs AVI Motion JPEG Codec for HD Youtube Videos

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent Bingham
Uncompressed vs AVI Motion JPEG Codec for HD Youtube Videos
on Oct 7, 2010 at 12:38:16 am
Last Edited By Trent Bingham on Oct 12, 2014 at 8:46:31 pm

I am currently using the BMIP to record video game footage to post on Youtube. I record the footage with media express in 720p 59.94 with the AVI Motion JPEG Codec.

Now the .avi file I get from capture looks incredible, no problems at all I love the quality. However when I upload the file to YouTube there is a definite loss in quality. It's not poor quality per say but it is definitely worse than the .avi / .mp4 renders.

My question is if I was to record uncompressed footage from BMIP and uploaded a render from the uncompressed footage would the youtube quality be any better than the MJPEG version or does Youtubes codec prevent it from ever surpassing a certain quality?

I don't want to have to use uncompressed footage at 6GB per minute if there is no improvement for my uploads...

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Uncompressed vs AVI Motion JPEG Codec for HD Youtube Videos
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:15:26 am

Look at other game captures with the intensity at 720p compaired to yours. yours isnt bad at all. we are talking youtube. It'll never look as good as the mjpeg. Youtube re-encodes everything you send. Hope this helps, Danny Hays

Return to posts index

Trent Bingham
Re: Uncompressed vs AVI Motion JPEG Codec for HD Youtube Videos
on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:54:12 pm

Yes that helps Danny, I was just wondering if using uncompressed capture will increase the end quality at all when dealing with uploading to youtube... If the way that youtube re-renders things is always going to look the same no matter how good the source is then I will just stick with the black magic codec

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]