FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shuttle Black Flicker

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Mitchell
Shuttle Black Flicker
on Sep 30, 2010 at 4:01:43 pm

My Instensity Shuttle Pro has developed a problem very recently where the preview window in BME and the video it captures flickers black for a frame (maybe 2 at most). I didn't have this problem about a week ago and have captured many longer videos with it before. Seeing as how I don't have to be capturing for it to happen the bandwidth can't be the issue. It also happens in SD and this problem is occurring while capturing from Component.

Here's a video of it:

The problem occurs at 55 seconds after the newscaster says "Coming right up after the break, we have weather and sports."

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Shuttle Black Flicker
on Sep 30, 2010 at 11:56:46 pm

It looks like your dropping frames. If it's happening without capturing, connect your source directly to an HDTV and see if it's happening. The shuttle handles the video as uncompressed no matter how it's captured, so it can be a bandwidth issue.

Return to posts index

Daniel Mitchell
on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:41:44 pm

1. It's in the preview window (not when I'm capturing)
2. It's forwarding to the t.v. a-okay.
3. I noticed AVI YUV 8-bit is not having this issue in the preview window.
4. My co-editor pointed out this all started after the latest firmware so we're thinking about rolling back firmwares.

Return to posts index

Daniel Mitchell
on Oct 4, 2010 at 4:42:43 pm

The AVI 8-bit and 10-bit were having the same issue even after I hooked up a RAID 0 HDD setup. So I rolled back the firmware to what was on the CD/DVD and everything is working amazingly now. I knew it wasn't a performance issue but it's a weird thing for the newer firmware to do this.

If someone at BlackMagic Design could take note of this flaw my motherboard is the Gigabyte x58a-UD3r Revision 2 which meets all specifications set forth and works great on the older firmware. Currently running Black Media Express 2.1.1

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Oct 4, 2010 at 6:24:53 pm

I'm sticking with that same firmware and software version as it works, where any of the newer downloads do not, at least with my machine. My Motherboard is the Asus P6X58D-Premium.
So if it works, don't fix it. I would think BM would fully test their new firmware and software releases before releasing them, but for under $200, It's still a fantastic device I think.

Return to posts index

Daniel Mitchell
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:04:02 pm

I agree and I will still suggest this device to people interested in doing what I am. I also agree about the testing thing though...and where is 480p over component functionality? That truly bugs me...

Return to posts index

david marshall
on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:49:40 am

hi i have the same flicker problem with my intensity shuttle. i went back to media express 2.1.1 but i still have the same problem, you said you rolled back the firmware, do you mean the software? if so what version works for you?
thanks davem

Return to posts index

Daniel Mitchell
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:13:08 am

I uninstalled EVERYTHING and used only things (aside from USB 3.0 drivers) that came on the disc. That's about all I can tell you really. What's your motherboard? *loves being free tech support for a company who promised him a feature they still haven't delivered on (480p)*

Return to posts index

david marshall
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:41:23 am

i have a gigabyte ga-58a-ud7 6 gig ram 2 1tb westerndigital caviar blacks raid arrayed all i want to do is record vhs tapes. all the software on the disc that came with my shuttle are the latest drivers anyway so i may just have to search through the archives and try rolling back the software and hopefully one of them will work. thanks for your help. davem

Return to posts index

Daniel Mitchell
on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:54:14 pm

Just to be sure, the RAID is dedicated to capturing and not the OS as well right? If not, then that may be the problem. That is all I can think of at this time. Let me know what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]