FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you need a X58 chiposet to run a Intensity Shuttle ?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Whittle
Do you need a X58 chiposet to run a Intensity Shuttle ?
on Sep 15, 2010 at 6:47:52 pm

Hi

I'm looking to purchase a Intensity Shuttle to record my PS3 game's but I have Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz with no USB 3.0 PCI express yet installed.
I know I will have to purchase one to make this device to run but first I want to know if I can run the Shuttle smoothly with my chipset

Hope you guys can help

Michael

Return to posts index

Alan Scott
Re: Do you need a X58 chiposet to run a Intensity Shuttle ?
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:28:31 pm

P55 and X58 are currently the only officially supported chipsets for the Shuttle.

Typically on a P55 the USB 3.0 card must be installed in a PCIe graphics slot.

It comes down to this, the slot MUST support the full 5Gbs bandwidth. This is required regardless of it being a PCIe x1 card in a PCIe 2.0 slot or a PCIe x4 card in a PCIe 1.0 slot.

Some boards (including the X58 but less likely) can have slots not wired up to support the 5Gbs bandwidth.

X58 = 36 PCIe lanes wired directly to the X58 chip with a 25.6GB/s link to the processor
P55 = 16 PCIe lanes wired directly to the Processor
P45 = 16 PCIe lanes wired to the P45 chipset with a 10.6 GB/s link to the processor

All have a 2GB/s link to either an ICH10/10R chip (X58/P45) or to the P55 chipset itself where some slots and the majority of onboard devices can end up being wired to.

The graphics slots on the P45 have an extra hop to go through with a more limited bandwidth to the processor than the P55 and X58.

Theoretically it might work on a P45 but odds are against it when your machine is under full load. I also haven't seen anybody report success with it either.

There was talk of BM allowing a 2.5GB/s link by either limiting the selection of resolutions you can capture or even possibly saving bandwidth by not simultaneously outputting at the same time your capturing. Nothing has happened with this yet.

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Sep 16, 2010 at 12:05:49 am

Hi Michael,

Further to Alan's excellent reply, the HDMI output of a regular PS3 has HDCP enabled so you won't be able to capture from it. The developer version of the PS3 does allow capture from the HDMI output for developers who need this function.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Sep 21, 2010 at 12:36:55 am

Hi,

Of course, you can still record from the component output of your PS3.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]