FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for Rack mount PC for Ultrascope

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robbie Carman
Recommendations for Rack mount PC for Ultrascope
on Aug 31, 2010 at 2:22:39 am

In a new room we're looking to move away from Tek and Harris due to cost/ overkill. Ultra scopes are a nice option but really need a rack mount PC instead of a traditional tower. Can anyone recommend a turnkey solution for this?

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Recommendations for Rack mount PC for Ultrascope
on Aug 31, 2010 at 2:30:25 am

you do understand that you will need a large LCD monitor to display the output of the Ultrascope, no matter how compact computer is !

http://silverado.cc/shop/product.php?productid=1420&cat=10&page=1

This is exactly what you want. And no, I do not know of a cheaper rack mount solution.

How do you "rack mount" your MAC computers ? They have a new invention for racks - it's called a RACK SHELF. Middle Atlantic makes a nice one, called the VSA-1626. Doesn't matter what kind of rack you have- the shelf telescopes, so it will fit any size rack.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Aug 31, 2010 at 1:33:33 pm

thanks for the link bob. Of course I understand the monitor situation that is not the issue. I'm just in short supply of rack space in our machine room and would rather a 2u setup then the sliding shelf. I actually have a couple of the middle atlantic 1626s in the rack already. Macs are free standing vertically at the bottom of the rack.

Thanks again

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Sep 1, 2010 at 11:37:12 am

Bob.

Have you tested win 7 with ultrascope?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:03:55 am

I have not personally tested Ultrascope with Win 7.
After all this time, I have only recently installed my first Win 7 system (not on an Ultracope - but a Grass Valley Edius edit system).
Windows 7 is VERY SLOW to be accepted by major video manufacturers.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:03:01 am

I have had totally different impression with regular desktop. Vista is like oooomyyy.

Probably have to go with xp then.

Thanks Bob.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Tom Babauta
on Sep 3, 2010 at 7:28:20 pm

Hmmm, I, on the other hand, have had nothing but good experiences with Win7 in a BMD workflow using PP CS3 and CS5 doing offline and online editing for TVCs.

Regarding rackmount solutions, unless you're willing to spend an arm and a leg on a turnkey solution, I think a 3U would be more realistic. You can go to your local Fry's or PC components seller and have them assemble a Gigabyte based PC for less than $800 with a 3U rackmount casing (not including the LCD). Lemme know if you need the exact specs. Were using one side by side our BMD Resolve right now. Works great.

Return to posts index

Jay Moffat
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:45:14 pm

Hi Tom, would love to know your exact specs for the Rack mount solution, I have 3 rack mount bays on my Pro-edit desk which I plan to use one for the Ultrascope....ideally something super quiet.. would you mind posting your spec?

Many thanks

Jason

[Tom Babauta] "Regarding rackmount solutions, unless you're willing to spend an arm and a leg on a turnkey solution, I think a 3U would be more realistic. You can go to your local Fry's or PC components seller and have them assemble a Gigabyte based PC for less than $800 with a 3U rackmount casing (not including the LCD). Lemme know if you need the exact specs. Were using one side by side our BMD Resolve right now. Works great."

Return to posts index

Dave Gorrie
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:15:13 am

Hey Robbie - I'd second building your own. That's what I was going to do when we were going to get ultrascopes. Turnkey's are way, way, way too expensive for the computers they offer, especially for the rack mounted systems (most I see are 2k!). You should be able to build your own for under $800 or right around there - the priciest part being the case. I think the minimum size will have to be 3RU due to the graphics card requirements/layout. The other problem with these is noise, but if you've got yourself a schmancy core, then you should be golden :)

I had never build a computer until about a year ago, kinda nerdy, pretty scary, but easy enough for most folks. And these server cases offer you enough room to figure out as you go, my HTPC on the other hand was a bad idea on a first build, but it's still truckin today!

-D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]