FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi8 into FCP via Blackmagic Extreme HD 3D Card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter kaminski
Hi8 into FCP via Blackmagic Extreme HD 3D Card
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:17:42 am

Hi guys,

I've just set up a FCP system on an 8-core Mac Pro.

I added the Blackmagic Decklink HD 3D card today. It has the breakout cable that comes as standard, the studio breakout cable.

I have old footage in a Hi-8 camera that I'm looking to get into FCP.

First, the connections. My outs on the camera are two rca's a yellow and black, picture and sound. This is a dumb question but what's the BEST way to connect these two RCA's to the decklink card so that I can import.

Second, my system profiler doesn't see the Decklink card, and I've installed the driver. Any ideas there?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
Re: Hi8 into FCP via Blackmagic Extreme HD 3D Card
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:42:52 pm

Peter

The best way to import Hi8 footage into your PC is with a firewire. Obtain a Sony Digital 8 camcorder, a camcorder that used 8mm video cassettes but records in a digital fashion very similar to DV cassettes.

Most of these camcorders were backward compatible with standard 8mm video and Hi8 video cassettes. This gives you a playback and a conversion to firewire in one step, and control of the camcorder via the firewire cable.

I assume your PC already has a firewire or IEEE 1394 jack. If not, the card is about $20 and Ulead software comes with most of the cards. Windows also has a capture utility for the firewire port.

Just finished uploading 45, Hi8 cassettes to a 1 TB hard drive using a Digital 8 camcorder I bought on eBay for $85. Well worth it.

Captured video used about 13 GBs per hour.

Return to posts index

peter kaminski
Re: Hi8 into FCP via Blackmagic Extreme HD 3D Card
on Aug 25, 2010 at 10:46:27 am

I'm getting some BNC to RCA adapters to get the media in. And the card started showing up after a restart.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]