FORUMS: list search recent posts

directshow/intensity shuttle problem

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rasmus Linck
directshow/intensity shuttle problem
on Jul 28, 2010 at 10:30:09 pm

Hi
I am trying to get a video feed from a Canon 7d(hdmi 1080i) though the Intensity shuttle connected to a usb 3.0 PCIe card(asus U3S6 USB 3.0) installed in a PCIex8 slot on a PC running Windows 7.The problem is that I can get the feed into the Media Express app. but the hdmi feed is only coming through when I set the camera in NTSC 1080i/60 and the Media Express in 1080i/59.940 and its not showing up in other directview based capture apps, they can see the blackmagic capture hardware but the video windows only displays black?

- Rasmus

Return to posts index

Alan Scott
Re: directshow/intensity shuttle problem
on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:10:51 pm

I know there was an issue with the directshow filters not being registered for other apps to use in 7.7.1 (and appears to be corrected in 7.7.3) but your saying you can see the devices and just getting a black screen.

I've been using VirtualDub for testing directshow. When you are in File->Capture AVI under Video->Capture Filter you can set the Blackmagic Video Format selection (in your case HD 1080i 59.94). How to access that in other applications will depend on the application. Media Express is not saving the selected format as a default that the filter would use in other directshow applications.

As far as 59.94 vs 60 interlaced hdmi there are unfortunately products that show 60 for 59.94 unless they do specifically have the two as options. My Samsung HDTV for instance always shows 60Hz when indeed it is 59.94.

Return to posts index

Rasmus Linck
on Jul 30, 2010 at 12:29:39 pm

Hi and thanks for replying, I updated the driver to 7.7.3 but now, every time I try to connect to the shuttle though an app.(virtual dub, vlc etc.) the computer crashes/blue screen?
do I really need a whole new computer with P55 or x58 to get this thing working?

- Rasmus

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:13:11 pm

I am having similar problems - although less severe. 7.7.1 drivers work with Media express, Adobe cs4 apps and Vegas 9, but not with Virtual Dub or Cineform's Firstlight. 7.7.3 drivers cause the latter two to crash, After effects to complain about "quicktime component can't load" and Media express / Premier / Vegas cannot see the intensity shuttle. Shuttle does appear on the windows 7 devices list and claims to be working properly.

I am using a gigabyte x58 ud5 board + asus Usb3 card, so it may be that upgrading to a new p55/x58 board will not solve your problem.

Mark.

Return to posts index

Rasmus Linck
on Aug 3, 2010 at 6:44:24 pm

Ok, so I upgraded to a x58 rig:

MSI X58 Pro-E, Socket-1366
Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-930 Quad Core, 2.8Ghz
6 gig of Corsair XMS3 DDR3

installed a fresh windows 7 64bit and the necessary drivers and updates and now I am back to black capture windows in directshow apps. The hdmi feed is only showing in Media Express when set to HD 1080i 59.94, so nothing new here too? I did a test with a PAL camera though S-video and had no luck with that either( it did show up in the capture window in Media Express)

I can't express how bad I now feel about this product, as for now I have wasted days and a fair amount of money on this beta product. I was supposed to use the setup in a live video performance in about a week and the damn thing isn't working as advertised :-(
I dont know if I can get the shuttle replaced with a intensity pro and if that is going to do the trick.

- Rasmus

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
on Aug 4, 2010 at 12:47:19 am

Rasmus,

Are you working with Blackmagic support? As I mentioned in my previous post I have an x58 system and 7.7.3 drivers don't work for me either. Interesting, however, is that 7.7.1 does (mostly) work and that even 7.7.3 drivers allow intensity shuttle to be seen by the operating system - thus does not appear to be a hardware level problem. Guess we need some help from the tech support team!

Mark.

Return to posts index

Rasmus Linck
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:02:12 am

I just send the BM support a request with a link to this thread...
I ordered the x58 stuff before I saw your post :-( , but beside the shuttle problem its performing like a dream.
I think the problem has to do with directshow because I can get video into Media Express, so the hardware is probably working allright.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:03:47 pm

Hello,

It is quite possible that the direct show part of the drivers are not fully flushed out yet. But honestly I haven't actually checked that yet. This would make sense given that it works in Media Express which doesn't use DirectShow but rather our driver level SDK.

So I would recommend in this case that you shoot an email over to developer@blackmagic-design.com in order to ask.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Rasmus Linck
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:55:45 am

Ok, so I have send them an email, I really hope they can fix this!

Return to posts index

clyde desouza
on Sep 24, 2011 at 6:02:35 am

Sorry to revive this old thread.... but I don't think BM seem to have solved this issue?

I just sent in an email as suggested above.

...Dear Blackmagic-Design.

I’m sure by now you may be aware of the fact that the intensity shuttle seems to be pretty useless as a video grabber in anything but BM’s own MediaExpress app.

I’ve followed this thread in creative cow, and there seems to be no resolution up till date:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/874480

Here’s my experience with the same problem:
I tried the BM intensity Shuttle with the new Sony Vaio F series 3DLaptop. Not much success unfortunately. I can manage to get a full hd feed while using Black Magic;s own video capture app, but cant get a feed to show up in most of other software that supports live capture/preview (example abobe on location wont show, AMCAP utility wont, neither will VLan or other Direct show capable applications. The driver shows up in the drop down list, but I only get a black screen no matter what settings I choose).

I have written an extensive article on live GreenScreen keying on location. and it is very popular with production studios worldwide. Unfortunately I had to update it to say that the BM Intensity Shuttle is not an option
http://realvision.ae/blog/2011/05/realtime-stereoscopic-3d-green-screen-key...

Please help sort this out so that I can again recommend the product.

Best Regards
Clyde DeSouza

----------------------------
"Think in 3D"
Clyde DeSouza
http://www.realvision.ae/blog
-----------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]