FORUMS: list search recent posts

Presents/Salvo & Videohub

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Cooke-Johnson
Presents/Salvo & Videohub
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:19:27 pm

Hi everyone,

searching I've found a couple of posts in relation to the inability to setup presets, or multiple routing changes with a single action (salvo), the most recent being a little over 6 months ago. I had contacted BMD in relation to the same and was referred to the SDK as a way of doing this. Before I investigate doing this, I thought I'd ask if anyone had developed anything themselves as a solution.

I'm really surprised that BMD hasn't implemented this as it could essentially be as simple as a cue-list of changes to be executed by a simple script.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
12 Pine Road
Belleville
St. Michael
Barbados
BB11113

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Presents/Salvo & Videohub
on Jul 22, 2010 at 10:51:48 pm

I was emailed by a company that was doing this, but I no longer have their information. My most recent job was to build a new TV station, and to my dismay, they chose a Sierra routing switcher (Sierra is a world class, great company - just expensive compared to Blackmagic). Do you know why that no Blackmagic router would work in this enviornment ? Because there was no remote control (via IP, RS422 or RS232) of the Blackmagic router, so that no automation system could run the Blackmagic router.

I see that, while I am madly in love with the Videohub product line, that many clients will never choose Blackmagic right now, because they can't do presets, salvo's, and remote control for automation systems. Similarly, many hi end companies will never choose the Ultrascope (and continue to spend $14,000 for a scope) because the Ultrascope can't do error logging, and observe EAS and close captioning. This means nothing to the regular video editor using a decklink card, but it means EVERYTHING to a broadcaster. It is these few but complex features that seperate Blackmagic from "the big boys", and allow them to keep charging "the big bucks".

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Cooke-Johnson
on Jul 22, 2010 at 11:25:22 pm

Hi Bob,

long time ;-)

I fully understand the issues in relation to price points and also the tool that fits the job (our ultrascope does exactly what we want and we have both that and the videohub software on touch screens in our OB van and they work really well).

The issue on this for me is we're talking something that should be fairly easy to implement - there is no new control interface, just simply multiple actions from one action, or as had been suggested in an earlier post that you had responded to on the same subject, presets or defaults that could be recalled. The application I'm looking for is actually very simple - I want to be able to change the content that is being iso recorded for slow motion replays based on where the action on the field is for sporting events, but I'm sure I could quickly find other uses.

I too am a BMD fan - I remember meeting Grant many, many years ago and just liked what the company was doing and the way they were going about things and since Ted left AJA, we've bought BMD wherever they had a product that filled the need, and I've been happy to recommend them around the region.

Grant, if you're out there, I gathered from your support team that this was a fairly requested feature, and I know you don't like to do things half way, but even a simple implementation would be better than none! Oh, and I need it by the beginning of October ;-)

Take care,
Chris

12 Pine Road
Belleville
St. Michael
Barbados
BB11113

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:11:10 am

Hi Chris,

I have just joined Blackmagic Design (4 weeks ago) and I will be looking after the Videohub range. I agree with the need for salvos. I have it on my list and with all new development work we need to set priorities. I will be pushing for this but cannot provide a time frame. I can provide the Ethernet protocol which allows for multiple switches via a telnet session if this will help.

Let me know if there are other features you would like implemented.

Return to posts index

Chris Cooke-Johnson
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:10:58 pm

Hi Hersh,

sorry for the delay in responding - In Haiti at the moment. Yes, I would be very interested in that as a short term solution. Thanks for your response.

Warm regards,
Chris

12 Pine Road
Belleville
St. Michael
Barbados
BB11113

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jul 29, 2010 at 1:00:47 am

Hi Chris,

What is your email address?

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:10:41 pm

I think this is worth noting that it can be done if you write your own software, but as you can imagine that's a bit of a commitment. From a support standpoint it is probably one of the top 5 requested features for our hub line. So obviously we'd like to see that included.

As to why it isn't already included, it's always a matter of features over time and which have a higher priority. It's very hard to make a software that is everything to everyone (user level access and permissions is another great example), but that is one of the reasons we provide an SDK for that. But again...I think it's something we'd really love to do, and as Hersh says, we just can't give any timeframes.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Anthony Bezencon
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:00:22 pm

Hi Hersh,

I too have need to run presets on my BM Broadcast Video Hub. Could you send me the protocol document?

Many Thanks

Anthony Bezencon

Project Engineer,
Creative Technology.
London.

Return to posts index

Hussain Alabdulmuhsin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12:04 pm

Hey all. I have been reading and trying to create preset for BMD Video hub. Have anyone solved or found a soloution for this? I also would love to have the protocols. It might help me develops the preset using the SDK.

Thanks,
Hussain

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:37:38 pm

Hi Hussain,

Videohub 4.9.1 is a free software update for all our Videohub products. This release includes creating salvos using Smart Control. Up to 10 salvo buttons can be assigned and each salvo can have up to 16 presets. The other nice feature is that the control panel can be configured via Ethernet. The software can be downloaded from http://blackmagic-design.com/au/support/
The protocol document is available in the manual when you download the software.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Hussain Alabdulmuhsin
on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:59:24 pm

Hi Hersh,

Thank you so much for your rely to me. It did help a lot to know that there is something like that out there. Just to clarify, do I have to buy the Smart Control Panel hardware or can I just use the software?

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jun 14, 2012 at 11:11:25 pm

Hi Hussain,

The macro feature is only available via the Smart Control or telnet session. It will not work with the client software.

Regards,

Hersh

Return to posts index

Hussain Alabdulmuhsin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:12:08 pm

Hey all. I have been reading and trying to create preset for BMD Video hub. Have anyone solved or found a soloution for this? I also would love to have the protocols. It might help me develops the preset using the SDK.

Thanks,
Hussain

Return to posts index

Robert Lipop
on Nov 28, 2015 at 6:57:00 pm

Is there any change in the fact that Salvo's cannot be run from the software interface?

Has anyone created another hardware panel for these routers?

Does anyone have experience making changes to the BMD routers via the OpenGear / Dashboard interface? Does it apply to this situation? Seems like it should to this NOOB!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]