FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anti-aliasing with Multibridge Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brady
Anti-aliasing with Multibridge Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:24:13 pm

Hello all,

I am experiencing bad aliasing on scaled video in a Blackmagic Adobe Premiere timeline.

With Adobe Premiere's GPU acceleration turned on, scaled video looks great, but the GPU setting introuces too many other bugs to be reliable (unpredictable cross dissolves, alpha channel misinterpretation, etc.).

When I turn GPU acceleration off, cross dissolves and titles act as they should, but scaled and time-altered video looks quite bad.

I'm working in Blackmagic native timelines (pick any--it's the same for all) and have Adobe Premiere's Preview File Format set to "Uncompressed 10-bit YUV" with "Maximum Bit Depth" and "Maximum Render Quality" checked... but the effected video still looks aliased. What am I missing?

Best,
James

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2
16GB RAM
24GHz Intel Xeon (dual quad-core E5450 @ 3GHz)
CalDigit 2TB Raid
NVIDIA Quadro CX v258.49
Blackmagic Multibridge Pro v7.7.2
Premiere Pro CS5 v5.0.1

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video & Animation
El Paso, Texas
http://www.resultsvideo.com

Return to posts index

James Brady
Re: Anti-aliasing with Multibridge Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:57:34 pm

More information:

I troubleshot a bit with non-Blackmagic timelines to test if this was an Adobe or Blackmagic issue. I started a new sequence with the following settings to take Blackmagic out of the loop...

Editing Mode: Desktop
Preview File Format: Microsoft AVI
Codec: Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit
Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only
With these settings, a timeline with a red-render-bar (no preview files built) played smooth, but looked aliased and generally degraded--until preview files were built. The built 'green-render-bar' sections look sharp and clean.

Then, with these settings...
Editing Mode: Blackmagic Uncompressed
Preview File Format: Blackmagic AVI
Codec: Uncompressed Uncompressed 8-bit YUV (or 10-bit)
Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only
The same results except that built preview files (green bar) looked just as bad as the unrendered (red bar) sections!

So it would seem that the Blackmagic timeline presets are simply not building uncompressed preview files unless the Adobe Renderer is set to "GPU Acceleration" (even with the preview file codec set to uncompressed 8bit or 10 bit YUV). Any ideas? Perhaps a bug?

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video & Animation
El Paso, Texas

Return to posts index

James Brady
Re: Anti-aliasing with Multibridge Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:49:35 pm

Update!

The Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 5.0.3 update fixes all preview file and rendering inconsistencies I mentioned. It also fixes transitions and title ovelay alpha channel problems when GPU acceleration is on. Thanks, Adobe.

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video, Inc.
El Paso, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]