FORUMS: list search recent posts

On the verge of a BMD purchase. Your experience, please.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Golden
On the verge of a BMD purchase. Your experience, please.
on Jul 15, 2010 at 9:02:45 pm

I am a Media Pastor at a church. I am within a couple of weeks of adding another edit desk, a MacPro. Most all of my edit and creation work is done with Final Cut Studio and Adobe CS5.

Right now my acquisition of video is about one-half Mini-DV via Firewire and the other half using BetaSP decks as the pass-through source for my “Capture Now” LIVE video.

Both of my existing edit desks have BetaSP decks attached: one to a Decklink SP card and the second to a Decklink Extreme card in.

This FUTURE, third desk is the first purchase of hardware in four years, and I know that things have improved/changed drastically in that amount of time.

I don’t have any SDI-equipped decks or gear in my rooms (except for a JVC video monitor). I want to build into what I buy in the years to come the option of upgrading tape decks, camera (video (P2, memory card) storage), HD monitoring capability, etc. I will NEVER need 3D capability.

Unless a USB 3.0 adapter card is going to be compatible with the current Mac Pro line, I am afraid that devices designed for USB 3 won’t be useful to me. Upgrading to HD acquisition is both a hope and possibility.

With that as background, what recommendations do you have for my Blackmagic Design input card purchase?

Greg Golden

Return to posts index

Jud Bordman
Re: On the verge of a BMD purchase. Your experience, please.
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:57:52 am

Greg,
What did you decide to do? I am faced with the same issue... not sure what to buy

Return to posts index

Greg Golden
on Jul 24, 2010 at 2:08:26 am

Jud - I have decided to hold out for one of the two BMD USB 3 devices and wait for the MacPro to be released, supposedly with USB 3. If you believe rumors, it is thought that the Apple update will happen before the end of the summer. There is so much power in their Ultra Studio Pro or the Shuttle with USB 3, I think I'll just wait and buy one of them. The Ultra Studio Pro is more power than I need, and the Shuttle may be less (no transport control for my BetaSP decks), but I like what I see in their specs.
Best regards,
Greg

Greg Golden

Return to posts index

ian clark
on Oct 14, 2010 at 3:35:54 pm

I think it best to hold on with the Ultra Studio Pro. The device only works with a select few motherboards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]