FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Dropping Frames Problem (Internal Hard Drive 10,000rpm or 7200rpm)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Adams
Intensity Pro Dropping Frames Problem (Internal Hard Drive 10,000rpm or 7200rpm)
on Jul 15, 2010 at 6:21:51 pm

I have an Intensity Pro that is dropping frames when I record in Media Express. I have 3GBs of RAM and I have a Western Digital with 350GB of storage space. I have narrowed the problem down to my internal hard drive. Since I only have one, it is not able to read/write the data fast enough. So, I am planning to buy another or multiple internal hard drives. My question is,

Would (One) 10,000rpm Hard drive with 300GB of space be better than
(Two) 72,000rpm Hard drive with a total of 2TB of space be better for recording with an Intensity Pro?

Which option would have a higher read/write speed?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Adams
Re: Intensity Pro Dropping Frames Problem (Internal Hard Drive 10,000rpm or 7200rpm)
on Jul 15, 2010 at 7:20:55 pm

Oops, I put 72,000 , I meant 7,200.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Intensity Pro Dropping Frames Problem (Internal Hard Drive 10,000rpm or 7200rpm)
on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:34:58 am

Does your mother board have the x58 or p55 chipset? are you capturing to MJPEG? You need a raid array to capture uncompressed 10 bit. There is a software and firmware update neeeded for the NEC USB 3 chipset too. I just got one of the Shuttles today and can capture 1080i MJPEG to a secondary internal sata 7200 drive without any problems. That was with a SD composite signal, set to upconvert to 1080i though. This is at work, mine should arrive at home tomorrow and I'll try capturing from my HDV imager VIA component. I'll post my results when I get a chance. Danny Hays, Sony Vegas Forum Leader.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jul 16, 2010 at 4:52:22 am

Hi John,

Run the Disk Speed Test application and see what kind of speeds you're getting from your drive. Next check what format you're capturing to. If you're using Uncompressed video, then you should be getting Write and Read results of at least 150 Mb/s and above for HD 1080, if not you're bound to drop frames.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:11:49 am

Hi Kristian Lam
If the required drive IO bandwidth is for the uncompressed formats, Why don't you have a version of media Express that only captures as the MJPEG format, and allow it to install on a machine with less bandwidth, like my laptop with a PCI express slot adapter? I believe the bandwith for this is lower than HDV and DV. 13 mbps MJPEG vs 25 mbps HDV and DV. Danny Hays Universal Orlando Show Systems Dept.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]