FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Codecs

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Mecca
Capture Codecs
on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:22:50 pm

Hi. I purchased a Decklink Studio card a few weeks ago and I'm using it under 64-bit Windows 7 Professional. Here are the rest of my system settings:
CPU: AMD Phenom II quad core 3.2gh
6gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7950gx display adapter.
I'm capturing video to a Seagate Barracuda 1tb SATA drive.

I am using a Panasonic AG-DV1000 deck to play the mini-dv tape and capturing the video thru the svideo hookup on the Decklink capture breakout cable.

My main problem is that when I use Premiere Pro CS4 to capture the 16:9 standard def that I shot using the DV compression codec I get all kinds of artifacts on playback (myserious white squares that pop in and out at various times). Does anyone have a suggestion on what is the recommended codec to use for this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kosmicki
Re: Capture Codecs
on Jul 13, 2010 at 6:33:32 pm

Capture using FireWire. The way you have it the DV digital signal is going through a digital to analog converstion from the deck to the Y/C output, then from analog back to digital when capturing on your computer. Using a FireWire connection the video will stay digital with no recompression.

Jeff Kosmicki
http://www.toyraygun.net

Return to posts index

Mark Mecca
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:28:43 pm

I'm using an audio and video mixer which doesn't have a firewire port on it. This is why I got the decklink studio card. If I do go in via firewire than what is the purpose of getting the Decklink card in the first place?

Thanks.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jeff Kosmicki
on Jul 14, 2010 at 4:17:39 pm

Well, I use a Decklink card to have 10bit output to my broadcast monitors in HD and SD downconvert. If you want to capture using an analog input, then just capture using uncompressed 8-bit, that way you won't have artifacts from recompression.

Jeff Kosmicki
http://www.toyraygun.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]