FORUMS: list search recent posts

UltraScope Turnkey Systems

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gorrie
UltraScope Turnkey Systems
on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:42:52 pm

Hey All,

So I'm still mulling over ultrascopes for some new edit suites - I wanted to see if anyone had purchased the turnkey system offered by BH? They have it listed with a Core i3 proc and with windows 7 (both of which AREN'T listed on the minimum specs on the BMD site)!

I called BMD and they said those aren't listed on the spec sheets but they would look into it - and I also figured if BH sells it, then it's probably legit...but I called to make sure and the sales guy really had no idea what I was asking unfortunately. I think the system they are bundling is a Pavillion, not the Z series workstations they have listed, also.

Kind of crazy, but I thought about building out my own system as well, but if I can get the pre-made HP system from a retailer (they run about $600 on the street) and slap in an approved GFX card then it might be a win/win.

Let me know if anyone out there has any experience with this fun stuff!

-Dave

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: UltraScope Turnkey Systems
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:09:16 pm

If B&H sells it, it's legit. They are a GREAT integrator. If they've built it, it means they've tested it. And if it didn't work, they wouldn't sell it.

So I would not worry about this. ALSO keep in mind the stuff on our list is stuff WE'VE tested in house...not an CONCLUSIVE list of what will work, just what we've tested. There are hundreds of boards out there that will work.

Problem with going the HP route, is depending on what system you buy (like the really small system), the power supply does not have a PCI-e Power rail which you will be required to use to power the graphics card you will need to make the system run.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 9, 2010 at 11:55:55 pm

if you don't put in the correct graphics card (as listed on the Blackmagic site), it won't work. I have tried VERY EXPENSIVE ATI and NVidia graphics cards that are not on the approved list, and they don't work - so don't be a big shot. Follow the rules, and forget "this card has the same specs as the ATI xxxx".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dave Gorrie
on Jul 10, 2010 at 1:35:08 am

Yeah - I know the hi-end cards don't work so well...but the power rail wasn't something I realized, so thanks for the tips guys! I know the gpu was the main thing dictating the functionality of the card in the end, but the processors seem to draw a grey area with the newer version of BH's turnkey system! I figured anything they do is legit, but just hadn't heard of that configuration before.

I can only imaging the daunting task BMD has trying to see what works, what doesn't with what drivers...blah blah blah. It ALMOST sounds fun!

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before we start buying all this equipment...mistakes at this level can start to add up, especially if we are saving up for a HDCAMSR deck :) Unfortunately resellers in my town don't have demo units set up, but I may know a guy or two that have them up in running in a post environment.

Thanks again for the insight guys - always good to know I can post on here for some good answers to questions!

-Dave

Return to posts index

Emilio Hernandez
on Jul 18, 2010 at 8:10:04 pm

I built the PC with the hardware specs from BMD... plug in the Ultrascope, started the machine and voilá no problem.

The two main things that I took a closer look was the mainboard specs and the graphics board. Using an Nvidia 9800 GT.

The PC was about $1,300 with the Ultrascope $1,800. A nice solution for a vector and waveform. Taking in acount that a Tektronix is around $3,500. Of course this solution is only for the suites. At our machine room we do have the Tektronix that have a more and deep analisis of the video and audio siganls.

Creating something that does not exist to exist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]