FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink HD Extreme 3D - Video capture Issues

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suresh Madan
Decklink HD Extreme 3D - Video capture Issues
on Jul 7, 2010 at 9:11:09 am

Hello All,

We have recently built 3 machines using the Intel WX58BP mother board running Xeon 3520 processor under Windows 7 Home Basic.

Hardware & software install went through smoothly & windows device manager show no missing drivers.

We are running the latest drivers as available on BMD site.

We have tried capturing PAL composite as well as an SDI signal.

However we are facing the exact same problem with all 3 machines.

When we select the 'Capture' tab in Media Express, at some times the window will display the preview of the signal to be captured and at other times it simply wont.

Rebooting will solve the problem, but on the very next reboot the problem may reappear.

There seems to be no pattern to this whatsoever - it is completely random.

Any ideas ?

Suresh Madan
Dynamix Media
New Delhi, India

Return to posts index

Suresh Madan
Re: Decklink HD Extreme 3D - Video capture Issues
on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:23:17 pm

Update:

Enabling 'PCI Express 1.1 compliance mode' in the BIOS sorted out the problem of the "iffy" input.

However, now every now & then, completely randomly when starting up the PC cold from a power down, the card will want a firmware upgrade.

Allowing the same results in an error and the card will be completely unresponsive. A reboot will mostly solver the problem, but there is no saying when the issue may crop up again.

I notice rather distressingly that previous posters have faced this problem before and there has been no satisfactory resolution of the issue. Worse there has been little or no input from the chaps at BMD even though I am sure they actively monitor this forum.

Nonetheless, I have sent in a support request and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Suresh Madan
DynaMix Media
New Delhi, India

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 9, 2010 at 6:56:36 pm

Hello there,

If officially if you need a response you should contact our office directly. We try to monitor this forum, but we can't guarantee that every post will be answered.

That said, what I suspect is happening is that the firmware update is not happening prooperly or is more likely being stopped by UAC. There are a couple of ways to fix this.

You might want to check to see if the CheckVersionPCI.exe process is running in the process viewer to confirm. If it is, kill it then do one of the following.

One is that you can disable UAC on the computer which will allow the CheckVersionPCI.exe application to run.

Or you can go to the C:\Program Files(x86)\Blackmagic Design\Blackmagic Decklink\ folder and find the CheckVersionPCI.exe file and modify it so that it runs as an administrator (right click and select properties). You can also find this by running the MSConfig utility and clicking on Startup tab. There will be a listing for Blackmagic Firmware updater which will show you the path as well.

Then try to reboot and see if that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Suresh Madan
on Jul 12, 2010 at 4:07:22 pm

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your response.

I did post a support request from the web site before I posted here.

I did check if the CheckVersionPCI.exe is running in the process viewer. It is not.

We are running Windows 7 Home Basic OEM and the UAC is already set to 'Never notify' - the lowest setting on the slider. I presume this what you meant when you suggested disabling UAC ?

I also went to the path CheckVersionPCI.exe file and set it's properties to run as administrator.

MSConfig does indeed show CheckVersionPCI as selected in the Startup tab.

So far, I am still exactly where I started.

The firmware updater problem still crops up randomly eventually unable to complete and reporting an error.

Any other suggestions ?

Suresh Madan
DynaMix Media
New Delhi, India

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 13, 2010 at 8:28:49 pm

Okay, so this is not a solution, just something to check something to get more information.

So when you boot up the computer and you notice it won't capture. Can you go to the Blackmagic Control panel. If the options are grey, let me know. I am assuming here when the options are grey you will not be able to capture. When they are bright, you will.

Please confirm this.

What this means? Well, on bootup, if the CheckVersionPCI.exe detects that the firmware is wrong it will put the BMD board into a "limited" functionality mode. Which is to say it is powered on enough to take a firmware update. So I am guessing for some reason it is booting up and the CheckVersionPCI.exe and doesn't complete it's process properly and so leaves the board in "limited" mode. Upon the next reboot it believes it's functioning right and releases the board for use.

What I don't know is why. Typical reason is that something is stopping the CheckVersionPCI.exe from doing it's job.

Some other thoughts. Temporarily disable AntiVirus programs that may be stopping this from running. If you are not in the ADMIN profile please try it in the admin profile or make sure the profile you are using is set to admin. Or uninstall the drivers and reinstall them and make sure they are set to install for ALL USERS.

So let me know...i'm interested in seeing what is causing this.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Christian Wehrle
on Jul 20, 2010 at 8:09:54 pm

I have almost the same problem - the card is just not responding at all on windows7 ultimate 64bit...
I tried a different workstation: XP 32bit and it worked with the old decklink software which came with it- as soon as I installed the new 7.7.2 in XP the card was seemd to be no longer there as well.. the blackmagic control panel is all grey and non responsive..

all done in admin mode...
what can it be??
really frustrating this...

Return to posts index

Suresh Madan
on Aug 2, 2010 at 9:11:42 am

After a few weeks in the interim, where my attention & energies were occupied elsewhere, I returned with renewed determination to solve the problem.

We first checked what you last suggested. Indeed when we boot up the computer and notice that Media Express won't capture, indeed in the Blackmagic Control panel, the options are greyed out.

Then again we confirmed that CheckVersionPCI.exe is not running in the Task Manager. MSConfig does though should it to be selected in the Startup tab. So we unchecked the same & proceeded to test again, presuming that CheckVersionPCI process would simply not run and effectively solve our problem.

This was not to be, The problem soon appeared.

Just to confirm there are no other applications whatsoever installed on this machine, certainly non anti virus software. There is only one profile, Admin, and we are running in the same. I have also attempted to upgrade to the latest driver as well downgrade to Ver 7.6 when support for the Decklink HD Extreme 3D was introduced with no different results.

UAC is set to "Never" in the control panel.

We have changed the graphic card to a lower chipset as well to rule out the possibility of bandwidth issues on that account.

We have also tried seating the card in the secondary 16x slot as well as the 4x slot on the MB.

4x lane cards are supposed to be compatible with X58 chipset MBs so this certainly seems very odd.

Any other thoughts ????

Return to posts index

Andrew Dobson
on Nov 6, 2010 at 12:11:55 am

Try a longer cable on the sdi input, say 10 metres,
we find that A500P Vtrs aren't seen on short cable inputs to decklink cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]