FORUMS: list search recent posts

Revisit multiple Decklink Intensity cards in Mac Pro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Jones
Revisit multiple Decklink Intensity cards in Mac Pro
on Jul 5, 2010 at 12:58:15 am

Hi,

I know this has been asked in a couple of ways before, but I was wondering if anyone has been able to install more than one Blackmagic card to capture from two sources simultaneously?

My desire is to capture two HDMI sources using two Intensity boards. My thinking is that I could use two applications at the same time, one to capture from one card, and one to capture from the other. Alternatively, I could put an Intensity in the same Mac Pro as my Decklink Studio, if two identical cards would confuse the selection of inputs.

The reasons I believe this should be possible are --

- I have successfully captured from Firewire and from a Blackmagic card at the same time before, showing that capturing two sources is possible, and

- I know that the Blackmagic drivers support multiple cards installed, for instance to use with the On-Air switching program. Since I plan to capture both from HDMI, the two cards would not have to be set differently.

Real world success stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Revisit multiple Decklink Intensity cards in Mac Pro
on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:17:25 pm

Yes you can do this. The problem before was that we always could install two cards, but most applications would only see the first card. (including our control panel).

With the old Intensity boards this was not a problem as there were no settings to configure.

Later on (I think over a year ago now) we added the ability for our control panel to see multiple cards as well. There should be a drop down in which you can select which board you want to control.

After that, you need a software that will capture from two sources. There are several and we don't make any specific recommendations, but you can use softtron amongst other softwares to do this.

Be aware that NO software that Blackmagic Design bundles is capable of capturing from two sources simultaneously. That includes On-Air, which would only capture 1 stream.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:35:34 pm

Hi,

thanks so much, that's great news!

Do you know if any of the software that can capture two streams simultaneously is on Mac? Or could I just use two apps at the same time, like Final Cut and OnAir, or Final Cut and Premiere (each capturing one stream)?

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:11:28 pm

Newp..you cant do it with two instances of the same app. They will both look for the first card. They don't have any logic to cascade cards tat are in use. If they did you would never be able to switch from one application to the next (like from FCP to Color).

So...it would have to be an application that actually has logic to detect more than one card. As I mentioned Softtron is one. And there are heaps of them out there, but mileage my vary.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Jul 6, 2010 at 9:39:47 pm

Hi,

Bummer. Can you please indulge me and let mw know what some of the other software options are? Softtron's seem overly expensive for what they offer, and ScopeBox looks cool but it isn't clear if they support capturing via HDMI at all.

Other than those two, a Google search on various related terms came up empty.

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:05:47 pm

Hi,

also, what about having a Decklink Studio and a Blackmagic Intensity in the same system -- does that change the scenario at all? Could FCP record from the Decklink Studio and OnAir record from the Intensity at the same time?

Incidentally, I downloaded the trial of ScopeBox and it didn't work very well. I'm downloading the demo of the Softron one now.

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Jul 6, 2010 at 11:33:37 pm

Hi,

Hmmm... no way I'm going to spend over $1000 on the Softron one -- spartan, clunky, and doesn't work very well. I'd rather just put that $1,000 into a second Mac Pro.

Unless you have some answers to my other questions...?

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 7, 2010 at 12:27:59 am

Apparently one of the PM's informed me that I was mistaken. And you can infact run two copies of Media Express with two cards and capture 2 streams (so long as your computer can handle it).

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Jul 7, 2010 at 12:29:58 am

Hi,

whew, thanks so much! That's great! I'm guessing that would apply also to a Studio and an Intensity in the same system?

Thanks,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jul 7, 2010 at 12:42:55 am

Hi Graham,

The requirement is that you use the latest version of Media Express which has an option to run in the background.

The cards in your system will enumerate in a fixed order but you can't tell Media Express to address a specific card. It will pick the card which shows up as the first input/output device in your system. The next instance of Media Express you open will then pick up the second card.

Of course, the limitation here is that there's no elegant way of capturing 2 streams simultaneously. You'll have to start capture in one instance of Media Express, then go into the next instance and start another capture.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Jul 7, 2010 at 12:50:59 am

Hi,

thanks! Luckily, that fits my need perfectly. Both streams are HDMI, same settings, so whichever card starts first doesn't matter. Also, I will be doing long takes, so once I start the recording I won't have to keep switching it on and off.

Thanks again,
Graham.

Return to posts index

Norman Gillaspie
Multiple Decklink Intensity cards in Windows XP
on Nov 23, 2010 at 5:48:30 am

We have been successful in capturing Analog HD video, Compressing the video in MPEG2 1080I, at 12 and 18 mbps. We are streaming this over Ethernet using a dual quadcore processor. Resource use has been about 14 percent with a single card. The next thing we want to do is to put two or three cards in the same server (maybe six). The drivers recognize both cards but graphedit only sees a single card. The inputs are fixes parameters only and will not be changes after startup. I intend to use HD Analog inputs only. We need to have multiple graphedit filters for each card and I thin we would be good to go. We can handle the issues from here. Tel 650-508-8699

Norman

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 22, 2012 at 12:36:18 am

[Kristian Lam] "The cards in your system will enumerate in a fixed order but you can't tell Media Express to address a specific card. It will pick the card which shows up as the first input/output device in your system. The next instance of Media Express you open will then pick up the second card."

Kristian, that's great news. Does it still hold true today, with current versions of the firmware, drivers and Media Express?

Thanks.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]