FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic codecs Vegas 9e

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Brewer
Blackmagic codecs Vegas 9e
on Jun 30, 2010 at 3:03:06 pm

First, my appreciation for the work put into Media Express 2.1. Blackmagic listened to my concerns and acted. I couldn't be more pleased.

I am using Sony Vegas 9e. When I render SD or HD AVI with Blackmagic codecs, I get an unintended black level increase. Probably 7.5% NTSC setup. This is a problem since some of my clips already have 7.5% setup.

The exception is when rendering using motion jpeg Blackmagic codec there is no increase in setup.

Is there a setting I'm not aware of?

I've added a post with this same question in the Sony Vegas forum and so far have gotten no takers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Larry Brewer

HD Extreme
PC Win 7
Intel quad core cpu
Intel Motherboard 12 gig ram

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Blackmagic codecs Vegas 9e
on Jul 1, 2010 at 11:28:29 am

Hi Larry,

We will get our QA team to check this out and get back to you.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Jul 1, 2010 at 4:00:18 pm

Kristian

Seeing how the Media Express will only play clips that were either captured by a Blackmagic card (HD Extreme in my case) or clips that are rendered using Blackmagic codecs, the idea of having a codec that can be used to transparently convert an mov, mpeg2, or wmv file to avi Blackmagic is important.

Most of my clips I import to Media Express are avi files. I use Sony Vegas 9e to convert them to avi 4:2:2 Blackmagic so they will be compatible with Media Express 2.1. This is where I see the black level increase. In broadcasting we called this the pedestal, or setup.

I wouldn't expect the hue to change or the color saturation, so why should I accept a black level change? It messes up the contrast and makes everything look washed out.

Again, thank you for passing this on and I look forward to a fix or at least a work around.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jul 2, 2010 at 12:02:36 am

Hi Larry,

Are you converting to 8-bit or 10-bit?/ Looks like a gamma issue so I'll get the guys to check it out.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Jul 2, 2010 at 3:06:45 am

It doesn't matter if it's 8 bit or 10 bit, or SD or HD. Any codec except motion jpeg. And I don't think it's a gamma issue. 7% to 10% setup is added to the video as it is rendered. I have to assume it has to do with NTSC 7.5% setup. I think I need to send "before and after" screen caps of my WFM scope.

Thanks again for your attention to this matter.

Larry Brewer

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Jul 3, 2010 at 5:06:39 pm

Hello Kris
Does intensity work with Vegas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]