FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic PCI Express cable or DVI?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Watt
Blackmagic PCI Express cable or DVI?
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:54:50 am

Hi, this is no doubt a very obvious question. I'm getting a Multibridge Pro but without the Blackmagic PCI Express cable. Two questions- is there any way of using a DVI cable instead? Has anyone extended this cable-whichever cable is meant to be used- to 20 feet?

THANKS!!!!!

Don

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Blackmagic PCI Express cable or DVI?
on Jul 1, 2010 at 11:29:38 am

Hi Don,

It's not a DVI cable so what you're planning to do will not work.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Don Watt
on Jul 2, 2010 at 6:17:41 am

Great THANK YOU. So there is no way of extending the proprietary cable beyond 6.6 ft? My rack is 18' from the PC it will be in- I guess still more cables!
Thanks

Don

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 2, 2010 at 10:14:07 pm

No way of extending it unless you have a cable custom made. Which will likely be extremely problematic. The External PCI-express spec I think allows for theoretical lengths of 10 meters, but I know there is alot of complex stuff that goes into that. Things we haven't developed or tested, and it most likely will not work with a passive cable (such as we provide).

That said, it is probably far easier to put the computer by the rack and extend the DVI to the monitor and get an active USB cable to for the keyboard and mouse. This has the benefit of using inexpensive, proven tech and also moves the computer and attached storage away from the user for a more lovely computing experience.

Well, that's how I'd do it anyways.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]