FORUMS: list search recent posts

Driver Updates for Premiere Pro CS5 Functionality

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nicky van der walt
Driver Updates for Premiere Pro CS5 Functionality
on Jun 29, 2010 at 6:58:12 am

Hi,

To anybody from BM, can you give us any indication whether (or when) the issues that we are experiencing with driver version 7.6.4 and Blackmagic cards will be fixed?

Do you guys acknowledge that there are issues with the current driver versions and CS5?

Will it be fixed? Is it fixable?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
Re: Driver Updates for Premiere Pro CS5 Functionality
on Jun 29, 2010 at 10:09:26 am

Hi Nicky,

what issues do you have?
My list is too big to put it in this post...both for MAC and PC....

:)

Return to posts index

nicky van der walt
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:57:55 pm

Hi,

2 main issues.

Random crashes on playback of the timeline with the crash report always referencing MSVCR90.DLL.

And random crashes on render with the crash report always referencing Backend.DLL.

Then also in about half of all our CS4 projects, when you open them up in CS5 it states that the editing mode of the sequences cannot be opened and that the sequence will be opened in Desktop mode.

Other than that, I would just like to know if they have any plans, or a timeline, or if it is at all possible, to somehow make use of the MPE and improved performance of ADOBE for users that use BM cards. Or are we stuck choosing between improved performance with the MPE or broadcast quality I/O with BM, or is there a future where we will have both?

What major issues are you experiencing?

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:57:51 pm

Hanging up on simple cross dissolve in Blackmagic sequence,
crashing and hanging, poor performance with MErcury on in BMD sequence, and on MAC - cracshing every 5 minutes, when opening NON BLACKMAGIC sequence in project with BLACKMAGIC sequnce - crash, very poor performance on 8 core MAc.......

The list is even bigger, but I cant remember all things now...

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:21:39 am

Well,

Probably the first thing to do would be to contact support in your region and report those issues. Of course there are always bugs in early releases of software, on both Adobe and Blackmagic's side. And we work to fix those as quickly as possible.

When you do reach out to us, we will ask what type of hardware you are running and confirm that you are using one of the supported nVidia cards certified for use with the Mercury playback engine.

A couple of notes about crash logs and culprit files. It's important to note that the file that is reported is typically just a file that was in use when the crash occurred. In the case of the Decklink.dll, if you are outputting through the board that file is in use. So it's not always the case that that particular DLL caused the crash, merely that it was being used.

Also the MSVCR90.DLL is a dll that exists on all windows systems and is written by Microsoft. It's a standard library.

On performance differences between Adobe native timelines and Blackmagic timelines, the rules haven't changed here. Adobe is able to scale back the preview complexity in order to show more realtime performance. Because our boards require full frame rate full resolution in order to output the frame it will seem that it doesn't perform as well. This was the same in CS4, but without the mercury engine accelerating the timeline. Certainly if something is wrong we want to address it, but it is normal to see two equivalent timelines (BMD/Adobe) perform differently.

On Mac plugins, they are in BETA and are being publically distributed in order to get that out there, and we know there is work to be done. So again, you should contact your local support office in order to report these issues so we can get the issues logged for fixing.

I'm not laying blame, or downplaying any of these issues. We'd love to address all the issues, but the road to that starts with contacting our offices.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
on Jun 30, 2010 at 5:51:43 am

On performance differences between Adobe native timelines and Blackmagic timelines, the rules haven't changed here. Adobe is able to scale back the preview complexity in order to show more realtime performance. Because our boards require full frame rate full resolution in order to output the frame it will seem that it doesn't perform as well. This was the same in CS4, but without the mercury engine accelerating the timeline. Certainly if something is wrong we want to address it, but it is normal to see two equivalent timelines (BMD/Adobe) perform differently.

OK, then please NOTE on your website

BLACKMAGIC CARDS HAVE LIMITED FUNCTIONALITY IN WORKING WITH CS5 PACKAGE. PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY OF YOUR ADOBE EDIT APPLICATION WILL BE DEGRADED WHEN USING BLACKMAGIC SETTINGS.

I have recently bought 3 DECLINK HD cards for studio I am working in, and it is a disaster, especially on MAC - every day I am under pressure from my CEO and staff about issues with your cards and CS5 - and irony is that I bought this combination to improve studio work flow.

So please stop with epic speeches on this forum and do something that can make our work stable and fast and your life easier and pockets full of our money.

Return to posts index

nicky van der walt
on Jun 30, 2010 at 6:49:21 am

Hi Joshua, Thanks for the response.

I come from a software programming background, so I fully understand the fact that there will be bugs floating around, and that with new releases things change. Also understand what you are saying re DLL files and crash reports. Its just that I can accurately reproduce the crash every time, by doing a certain action, and the report always gives me the same file name on the same action... surely this should be fixable then?

I was hoping that you will be able to tell me that you guys are aware of some issues and give me some indication of a timeline for new driver release with better stability and performance?

I am in South Africa, so obviously there is no local support available. I have however contacted your European support desk before, but did not find the person on the other side very helpful and it eventually just ran into a dead end with him basically saying he cannot reproduce the problems, and the conversation seemed pointless.

If you can give me a contact (email) for someone in your office to contact, I will with great, um... lets call it enthusiasm, try and sort my problem out, or help you sort the problems out.

Just to give you a quick rundown. The main system that I am experiencing problems on is setup as follows.

2x Quad Core Xeon CPU's on INTEL S5000XVN workstation board.
16GB RAM
120GB SSD for OS
500GB SATA drive
1x 4 disk RAID 5 and 1x 4 disk RAID 0 on a CALDIGIT raid card.
Windows 7 64bit
Decklink HD Extreme 2
No other software except CS5 and QT and drivers. all up to date.

I also have 3 i7, 12 GB ram, same disk and software setup, and I have the exact same software issues.

All projects are BM, with mostly captured footage, so no funny timelines with dozens different codecs cluttering the environment.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 30, 2010 at 4:49:45 pm

Okay cool,

If you can do it every time then we should try to recreate it, which depending on system differences may or may not be easy.

Of course you can email to our office here in the states (just be aware of the time differences) and we will be glad to check it out, and report it.

And suffice to say yes there are bugs in our bug tracker logged against Adobe CS5 to be fixed. When you email into us we will check your issue against our database and hopefully it's already in there, but if not, we'll put it in there.

Also thanks for the system specs, can you make sure to mention what GFX card you are using in the email?

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

mandeep singh
on Jul 5, 2010 at 10:14:02 am

Hello i am having hell of bad time with blackmagic extreme on cs5, we just bought cs5 in office and had to start new projects on cs5 and now all 3 editing tables are in a chaos,every one knows its too much time waste to keep on installing uninstalling any of adobe cs4 or cs5,\

have done same with 7.6.4 and not to forget it reboots every time. So please can you point out to a forum explaining how i can copy settings to cs5

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:11:18 am

Joshua,

Make sure to give us an option, to change the Player Settings of the Timeline from BMD to Adobe when needed, just the way we can change the Player Settings for the Source panel today. (For the Source: Edit > Preferences > Player Settings)

Copying and pasting Timelines to get around this issue is not a good solution.

It would be great to have a BMD Timeline and when having trouble with the playback, just change the Player Settings on the current Timeline to Adobe and continue to edit, and when one need the BMD output, just switch back the Player Settings to BMD and rock on.

Last time (everytime) i speak with Adobe on this very request they claim that this feature is already able to add by BMD today, IOW its not an Adobe-to-do. :)

Return to posts index

mandeep singh
on Jul 3, 2010 at 4:36:11 am

Hello I live in India , and my hd extreme card is totally absent in cs5 , now i dont know whom to contact in my region, of course retailers dont even have a clue about any of the issues they are only selling , so is there any list of SUPPORT CENTERS of blackmagic in all the regions

I have downloaded 7.6.4 but it dosent even show up in cs5 any solution?

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Jul 3, 2010 at 5:04:11 pm

Try and install again or You can put it manually by copying the plugin from the decklink directory. You will see CS3, CS4 and CS5 in the main Blackmagic Premiere directory

Return to posts index

Robert Falkowski
on Jul 5, 2010 at 7:43:46 am

> You will see CS3, CS4 and CS5 in the main Blackmagic Premiere directory

Are U sure that CS3 is still supported in new drivers? 7.6.4 "readme" documents suggest that CS3 is abandoned. Am I wrong?

Robert Falkowski - http://www.mmstudio.com.pl
--
System: Windows7 HP(x64), Edit soft: Adobe CS3 Premium, Video: BM-D Multibridge Pro (rev1), CPU: Core i7@3,8GHz, chipset: X58, RAM: 6GB DDR3, VGA: 8800GTS, HDD: 1x500GB + 4x500GB raid0, VTR: BetacamSP: UVW1800P, Dvcam: DSR-11P.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:34:06 pm

The plugin's are there, but you are correct. There support is going away. We will likely keep them in "as is" for a few more builds then they will not be there too.

If you are not seeing the settings in the project settings then that typically points to an install issue. There are a couple reasons for this.

1>Install order: If the Blackmagic software is installed BEFORE Premiere then it will create these types of problems. The BMD installer looks for the presence of CSx and intalls the files appropriately. If this is your situation the solution is simple. Uninstall the BMD drivers and restart and reinstall. That will put them in right for you.

2>Registry key mixup: This is a bit more tricky. This happens typically on systems when there are more than one version of CSx software. Say, you kept CS4 on the machine. Our installers use a registry key to determine the current version of CSx. It will locate a specific key and install to there. So most of the times when this is seen it's because both CS4 and CS5 are seen and plugins only get installed into CS4. How do you fix? Well, BEST practice. Remove the older version of CSx and then uninstall and reinstall the BMD drivers. If you really want both installed then you will have to do as one customer suggested and go into the Blackmagic/Decklink/Drivers folder and you will see the premiere folder which will have the appropriate structure to copy the files into place. Please be aware that it is more than just presets and that all the files need to be copied into the right places. If it's not done right, it won't work.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]