FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about using .mp4 files in Sony Vegas Pro 9 rendered from BlackMagic Intensity Pro .avi files

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent Bingham
Question about using .mp4 files in Sony Vegas Pro 9 rendered from BlackMagic Intensity Pro .avi files
on Jun 26, 2010 at 1:25:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I record XBOX 360 Game footage through my Blackmagic Intensity Pro in HD 720p 59.94 FPS using the AVI Motion JPEG codec.

I record an entire game at a time however the majority of games I play I don't want to keep the entire recording, rather just short 10-20 second clips from within those games.

My question is: Is there any way to just cut a short segment out of the blackmagic .avi files without having to render the files in a new format like .mp4 or .wmv and without losing any quality from the capture?

And secondly, if I can't just clip sections out of the .avi file without rendering it as a new file is there any way to make those .mp4 files play & edit quickly?

I am currently rendering these short clips as .mp4 files and I maintain most of the quality in the clip however if I try to edit the clip in Sony Vegas or if I try to play the clip back it seems like everything freezes up.

The best way I can explain it is let's say I render a 5 minute .mp4 clip and then open it in zoom player. The clip will play perfectly as long as I play it from the beginning. However if I click on the progress bar all the way to lets say the 2 minute mark then the video just stays black and the computer just thinks for minutes on end before finally finding it's way into that section of the video and resuming playback.

My computer is relatively fast: AMD Phenom Quad Core 3.4 Ghz, 4GB ddr3 ram, windows 7 64bit, ATI Radeon HD 4800 series video card, but anytime I try to edit or play these .mp4 clips it just kills my computer and things seem to take forever to load.

I talked to my brother about it and he said I might need to increase the "i frames" within the .mp4 file when I render it however I didn't see any option within Sony Vegas to increase that.

Excuse me for my ignorance, I am new to video recording & editing so any help that you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the forums quite a bit about this but I cannot seem to find the solution.

Ideally what I want to do is be able to record footage, take the clips from that footage out that I want and save it for later, then be able to return to those clips at a later time and edit them within sony vegas without any slow downs.

Here are my project properties and .mp4 render settings in Sony Vegas:
settings 1
settings 2

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Question about using .mp4 files in Sony Vegas Pro 9 rendered from BlackMagic Intensity Pro .avi files
on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:27:53 am

If your going to edit the smaller clips again, try the "type" Videos for Windows (.avi) "template" HD 1080-60i YUV, then click custom and on the video tab change the frame size to HDV 720 (1280x729) and change the field order to progressive. The file size is close the the original Motion Jpeg and if your media player will pay the MJPEG, it'll play the YUV file and Vegas will edit it just fine. If your going to save the peices to play and not edit again, I would use the WMV, 720 preset. It will look almost the same as the original, but much smaller file size. Hope this helps, Danny Hays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]