FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Shuttle surround sound?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Gragilla
Intensity Shuttle surround sound?
on Jun 24, 2010 at 5:13:23 pm

I've been using an Intensity Pro for awhile now and while I love it I'm finding that the lack of more than 2 channel audio is a decidedly limiting factor.

I just saw the spec sheet for the new Intensity Shuttle, which specifies up to 8 channels of surround sound recording via HDMI. Can I get a little detail on how this is accomplished, i.e what audio format/s will the Shuttle accept? It would be awesome if it would accept Dolby Digital but somehow I'm not holding my breath that this is the case. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Intensity Shuttle surround sound?
on Jun 24, 2010 at 9:24:26 pm

I gather with a surround dound DVD player with HDMI, you can capture all the channels, But i'm not sure. I bought one of the shuttles about a month ago and apperantly in's not shipping yet. The setting for it would be in the Media Express software that comes with both I gather, Since I can't seem to get my Shuttle yet :-((

Return to posts index

Jason Gragilla
on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:23:52 pm

Perhaps I'm confused, but my understanding is that if your device is outputting a compressed format such as Dolby or DTS you need to have an onboard decoder to translate the audio bitstream, such as the Hauppauge HD-PVR has. If the Shuttle is limited to accepting a lossless/uncompressed format such as LPCM I'm not sure how much utility I'll be able to get from the device.

I'm still intrigued, but I guess I won't make a final decision until I can find out a bit more. C'est la vie!

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jun 29, 2010 at 11:02:35 am

Hi Jason,

No the Intensity Shuttle will not decode your encoded audio.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Jason Gragilla
on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:13:18 pm

Thanks Kristian I was pretty sure this was the case, but it's nice to have confirmation. Now that I know what it will not do, when you have a moment can you give me the short-short version of how the Shuttle will go about recording 8 channel audio? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Jason

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 29, 2010 at 11:04:38 pm

What are all the other audio meters in Media Express for? It looks like there are 16?? If Blackmagic ever ships the shuttle I bought, I could find out for my self.

Return to posts index

John Smith
on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:59:03 pm

After a firmware update for the Shuttle, you can change "Tracks" in Premiere Pro CS5 to 5.1. However, in my experience, a radio dial is not clickable in Premiere Pro when you go the Blackmagic Capture.

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on May 15, 2013 at 8:40:14 pm

It's such a shame... The Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt is a great device, plugs into my laptop for Avid Media Composer and all is great---- except for multichannel audio. The Shuttle passes through the Avid's 5.1 output, and sends them to my AV receiver and on to the correct speakers except for the center channel, Dialog... that gets send to the subwoofer (with everything above 100hz or so cut off). So close to being perfect!
Please BlackMagic Design, make this product (and the Hyperdeck Shuttle) play with 5.1 better.
THanks

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

currently on a MacBookPro, Media Composer 5.0.3.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]