FORUMS: list search recent posts

Betacam SP 625 PAL 16x9 capture with MediaExpress

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Wideroe
Betacam SP 625 PAL 16x9 capture with MediaExpress
on Jun 18, 2010 at 9:24:49 am

I have a question:

We just got in a Betacam SP tape (PAL 625) with 16x9 film on it. I have connected the BetcamSP player to one of our ingest machines that has a Decklink Studio card. I have connected the Betacam component outputs and 2 audiochannels to the Decklink card aswell as ref signal.

When I open MediaExpress (latest Windows version) I choose PAL 10 bit YUV under edit - preferences. However, I can't find any options for aspect ratio like we have in the presets in Premiere Pro.

When I do capture I get a 4x3 file (wrong aspect ratio).

How can I specify or choose to capture in 16x9 in MediaExpress? (or is it perhaps not possible?)

Thanks!
Andreas

Return to posts index

Andreas Wideroe
Re: Betacam SP 625 PAL 16x9 capture with MediaExpress
on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:50:08 pm

I now see that if I choose a 16x9 project in Premiere the film has the normal aspect ratio during capture and edit, but when I playback the captured .avi file in Ie. Windows Media Player it is still 4x3.

This leads me to think that aspect ratio on Anamorphic SD material is infact captured as a 4x3 file and it is up to the playback/edit system to play it back in the right aspect. Or am I way off here? :-)

Cheers,
Andreas

---
Norsk Smalfilm AS
http://www.smalfilm.no

Filmshooting | Com
http://www.filmshooting.com

Return to posts index

Jay Epperson
on Jun 21, 2010 at 4:51:08 am

Standard definition digital video does not use square pixels and encodes everything at either 720x486 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). Depending on the content stored, the video is "resized" to square pixels during playback using either 4:3 or 16:9 ratios (essentially an anamorphic squeeze). Certain containers like QuickTime MOV support flags inside the stream that allows you to specify what kind of content you are indeed storing (but it's still stored as 720x576). AVI, however, does not support such flags so the playback is always 1:1. What you are seeing in Windows Media player is the raw 720x576 video, without any kind of square pixel correction applied, and if it's anamorphic 16:9 content, everything should appear much much skinnier. You are not seeing 4:3, however, as 720x576 viewed as square pixels actually has a ratio of 5:4.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:20:54 am

Hi Andreas,

As per Jay's response, your capture in SD is always going to be 720x576 (PAL) or 720x486 (NTSC). It's the display device that will stretch out the picture to provide the 16:9 preview.

In Media Express, you can toggle the option to monitor your captured clips as 16:9.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]