FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink, CS5 and Mercury

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derrick van Niekerk
Decklink, CS5 and Mercury
on Jun 13, 2010 at 8:46:43 pm

Hi there,

I'm wondering, id you add a decklink card to the system, and use a BMD preset, do you loose the mercury accelerated playback?

In CS4, if I use DVCPROHD presets, I can have 8 720p video tracks stacked ontop of each other, and it plays back smooth,(but obviously nothing goes out through the decklink card)

with a BMD preset I can't even have two video tracks ontop of each other playback smooth.

anyone tested this, or thought about it?

thanks,
Derrick

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
Re: Decklink, CS5 and Mercury
on Jun 14, 2010 at 11:40:49 am

Blackmagic settings are working in CS5, but you will notice same problems as in cs4 - in Blackmagic sequnce you will have around 1/3 of Premiere full power.....

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:53:35 pm

so the mercury engine becomes unusable then.

how can yo output to a calibrated broadcast monitor without losing the mercury engine?

- Derrick

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Jun 15, 2010 at 1:10:27 am

Not the best thing ever, but here goes:

Do your edit in an adobe preset. You do not need the broadcast monitor for your edit. When finished and for color correction, checking legality (you need the scopes too) or for scene discussion and inspection you can always copy everything in a blackmagic sequence.

It could be a little difficult for BM to bypass the fact that Mercury acceleration happens in the graphics card. So if outputting from the BM Card I guess something's gotta give. On the other hand it is not clear to me if Mercury acceleration happens as process giving back an accelerated timeline for "everyone" in the system to use, or if it is something meant only for the graphic's card output. Maybe the BM team can shed some light as to how the API works, or if there is an API to tap into anyway.

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Jun 15, 2010 at 8:18:24 am

good point Aristides,

I suppose you could edit everything as normal, and do your color correcting in a nested BM sequence. would be nice if the acceleration was there though.

- Derrick

Return to posts index

Tanel Toomsalu
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:55:08 am

Hello,

Acceleration is definately there, you just get less layers than non-blackmagic project.
I get 2-3 layers or so. Depending on your needs it may be not enough, but it satisfies my needs completely as I rarely have more than 2 layers on the same time.
Im using Decklink Extreme 2, i7 920, gtx285.

I hope it helps

Return to posts index

Dominic Osborne
on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:18:33 am

I can understand completely why there is the lowering of performance in this case.

I've been following the matter closely as I'm about to buy the cS5 suite with HD Extreme III and don't want a duff setup.

However, it seems that the Aja customers are sufferinng bigger performance losses compared to BM, if you check their forum here.

I hope that as CUDA and GPGPU stuff advances that there can be more data exchange back to the other internal components like BM cards in the future.

Otherwise the solution is probably a Quadro card with SDI output (highly expensive) / some way of taking DVI or Displayport feed from Quadro card and linking from that to broadcast monitor through a converter... but lose a desktop screen in the process (unless you have SLI for extra monitor connections...)

Dominic Osborne

---------------

Director & Head of Visuals

Eight Eyed Sea Bass Ltd

http://www.eesb.tv

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Jun 22, 2010 at 12:26:43 am

So in a nutshell what are the advantages of MPE in a decklink system. Is the card better with BM?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]