FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Express 2.0.3 problem with unintentional pausing

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Brewer
Media Express 2.0.3 problem with unintentional pausing
on Jun 13, 2010 at 5:03:06 pm

When playing clips from the Media Express 2.0.3, the playback stops when I click on anything outside the Media Express window. Playback will resume at the point where it paused when the play arrow is again pressed.

This problem occurs after the second click outside the Media Express window. That is to say, it doesn't stop playing after the first time the window is removed from focus, but after the focus is reacquired and the operator clicks outside the window a second time.

The results are the same for full screen or compact view.

Tech support is of no help, says it is doing what it's supposed to do. To hear them explain it you would think it was designed to function that way. "The Media Express will stop processing after the operator looses focus on the ME2 window"...

So, I wonder why loosing focus on the ME2 window doesn't affect the "CAPTURE" function.

Other players that don't crap out after you loose focus on the application...

1. Windows Media Player
2. Nero Show Time
3. Quick Time Player
4. VideoLan VLC Media Player
5. Real Player

Indeed, every player I tried continued to play the clips regardless of whether the focus was on the player application or not. In fact they will all play video clips simultaneously without regard to which player is the point of focus.

The Media Express ME2 is unique in its "touch anything and I'll freeze" approach to playback.

If the same problem occurred on CAPTURE I'm sure it would have been corrected before the application was released.

So this is a big problem for me. Anyone else noticed, anyone discovered a workaround, any thoughts?

Larry Brewer

Blackmagic HD Extreme
PC Win7, Quad core i7 920, 12 gig ram, intel motherboard,
Nvidia GT-9800

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Media Express 2.0.3 problem with unintentional pausing
on Jun 15, 2010 at 12:46:27 am

Hi Larry,

I think you had a similar post a few days ago.

This is intentional because unlike the other applications you've listed, Media Express grabs hold of the one of our Blackmagic Design hardware. This means that if you're not the active application, another application which is capable of video playout will still be able to use Media Express. For example, capturing using Media Express but laying out compositions in Adobe After Effects. If Media Express does not release the hardware, this means other applications will no longer be able to use them. This is similar behaviour to applications such as Final Cut Pro etc.

The hardware is not released on capture because an interruption is capture means having to recapture again.

That said, we should be able to do something about this and maybe implement a allow playback in the background option. Stay tuned.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Jun 15, 2010 at 10:09:21 am

Kristian

Thank you for the reply. I follow your explanation to a point but still have to ask.. How was Media Express 1.0 able to playback while not being the focused application?

But maybe that is a moot point. Adding the option allowing playback to function in the background would be splendid.

It is a feature that would advance the usefulness of the Media Express player greatly.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Larry Brewer

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jun 23, 2010 at 7:18:53 am

Hi Larry,

The new version of Media Express that's on our website now has an option for it to continue playing while in the background.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Jun 23, 2010 at 1:00:43 pm

Thanks Kristian,

you guys are the best!

Larry Brewer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>