FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low performance Raid

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allby Corry
Low performance Raid
on May 14, 2010 at 1:10:40 pm

Hi, I purchased a Norco DS-500 Sata array enclosure with 4 Seagate ST31000528AS Sata installed that I'll use HD for video capture and edit.
I'm using a BlackMagic Decklink board and I tested the performance of the hard drives using the included program test and I get only around 120MB/s

transfer rate.

For Raid I striped the drives using the Windows disk management.
Update the lastest Bios for the Sil3132 controller.
My system is a Asus P6T DeLuxe V2 with a Intel Core i7 920 2.67Ghz 4GB ram running Windows 7 64-bit.

What I'm doing wrong, how can I get the transfer rates up to 230MB/s described in Norco manual?

Regards,
Allby

Return to posts index

Leo Baker
Re: Low performance Raid
on May 14, 2010 at 1:25:41 pm

Hello,

Are you using Raid 0? I have not used this unit before, but looking on the website it has a card you slot into the system. Can you configure the raid via the card or software which the unit comes with?

Leo

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on May 14, 2010 at 5:02:15 pm

Hello Leo,

Yes I'm using Raid-0 with stripe made with Windows disk management.

And yes, can configure the Raid with the software which the unit comes with but I had tryed it and not see difference.

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.

Cheers,
Allby

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 15, 2010 at 6:08:44 am

with some SATA drives you need to move a jumper to get 3gb/s transfer rates

Return to posts index

Thomas Santopolo
on May 15, 2010 at 2:58:41 pm

You definitely want to create the raid using the card. When you first start your computer, the card bios, just like your motherboard bios, should show up on your screen. From there you can configure your raid. If you have difficulties, call the manufacturer and they should walk you through it. Does the Norco unit have 4 separate sata connections? If not, it is using port multiplication and it really doesn't raid well. The 300 MB/sec bandwidth of a single data cable through which the port multiplier connects will hold back simultaneous transfers as you add more drives to it.I attempted to use Port Multiplication once but could never get performance out of it. I now use a 4 Port Raid in raid 5 and get about 200 MB/sec. I am sure I would be closer to 350-400 MB/Sec in raid 0 (raid 5 mirrors data so if a drive fails, you don't loose your data, but it slows performance).

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on May 15, 2010 at 9:23:34 pm

Thank you, Thomas.

I'll try create a raid using the card.
The drives inside the unit are connected with 4 separate Sata cables but the connection to computer is only one cable via eSata.
This eSata card and cable is included with the unit and the manual say that I can get up 230MB/sec.

Thanks.
Allby

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 17, 2010 at 5:08:59 am

Did you check for the jumper on the drives. If its not in place, it cuts the transfer rate in half...which is close to what you are seeing.

Might not be the problem, but its worth a look.

Return to posts index

nicky van der walt
on May 17, 2010 at 6:56:27 am

As far as I can see from the products web page, the 230mb/s they mention is burst speed, and not sustained transfer.

Am I correct in saying that is a PCI card?

I was never able to get much more than 120mb/s in a 4 disk RAID setup with PCI cards.

I now run a CALDIGIT raid card on a PCIx x8 card and I get around 230mb/s sustained transfer on 4 disk RAID5 setup.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on May 17, 2010 at 11:32:46 pm

Nicky,

The controller card is a PCIe with the Sil3132 chip.

Return to posts index

Allby Corry
on May 17, 2010 at 11:30:41 pm

John,

The jumper on the drives are default no jumper, following the manual "no jumper 3.0GBps, with jumper 1,5GBps".

Return to posts index

Thomas Santopolo
on May 18, 2010 at 1:46:07 am

I tried the same kind of setup you have and could not get good performance. Port multiplication does not work well for speed. It would be best to have a 4 port card with a 4 port external raid.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 18, 2010 at 6:32:26 am

[Allby Corry] "John,

The jumper on the drives are default no jumper, following the manual "no jumper 3.0GBps, with jumper 1,5GBps"."

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you checked. I got bit by that one once.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]