FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultra Scope & MAC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Thompson
Ultra Scope & MAC
on May 8, 2010 at 2:31:04 pm

This question is for GRANT .... and who ever else can answer it.

Hi , i just read the "read me" for the ultra Scope software for the mac and it says we will need QuickTime 10, of course that has to be a typo.

My real question is Can the ultra Scope be used in an Xserve ? Seems like it can but wanted to ask to be sure.

Secondly i will be using the xserve as a render box and wanted to dual purpose it. Will Ultra Scope run well with other Apps rendering in the background expecially render queues, since rendering is so processor intensive.

Im thinking about an 8 core machine with 6GB of RAM but it seems i should get more since the Ultra Scope utilises in excess of 4GBs.

Any thoughts ?

Nigel

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
Re: Ultra Scope & MAC
on May 8, 2010 at 2:40:38 pm

As well will the GeForce GT 120 work well with the Ultra Scope or will i need to swap that card for something better ?

Im thinking i will

in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 8, 2010 at 4:11:10 pm

The Nvidia GeForce GT120 will NOT work.

you need an open GL 2.1 card - this is the ONLY card that has been qualified for MAC so far - and no, no one is going to create a comprehensive list of 100 cards that you can use. For the PC platform, only about 10 cards have been qualified -

this is the card qualified for the MAC -
•EVGA GTX 285

I have no idea if the XServe will work, but it better be a 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon or FASTER.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on May 9, 2010 at 7:40:29 am

Bob is right. We currently the GTX 285. We did look at the ATI 4870 that is available as a BTO upgrade when one orders the Mac Pro but we will need to do some optimization for the card as it is not getting the same level of performance as on the PC.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on May 9, 2010 at 1:07:59 pm

Cool Thanks again guys. But Kristian What about the servers ?
Will they work or not or have you guys even tested them at all ?

Planning on getting an 8 core with at least 6 - 8 GB of ram may even go up to 10 - 12

in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 9, 2010 at 3:58:40 pm

why would you want to run this on a server computer. The XServe makes a lot of noise - why not just run this on a normal MAC Pro (if you have the card slots available ?). I actually don't know who will ultimately buy the MAC Version of the Ultrascope, as every post (and everyone that asks me personally about the Ultrascope) is only interested in ONE thing - what is the CHEAPEST computer I can use to run this thing. The MAC Pro (or XServe) is a $3000 solution, which makes it cost more than any PC solution. I can understand if you have the MAC sitting at your desk, with an open slot, but why would you run a dedicated XServe for this application ? Seems a little overkill to me.

Especially if you intend to have a fibre channel card in the XSErve and use this as a server for your facility.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on May 9, 2010 at 5:51:46 pm

Hey Bob:

As i said previously, im actually getting the Xserve as a SAN controller/Render box for my AE, Combustion, nuke etc etc render queues. So i was wondering if i can Dual purpose the machine instead of buying yet another machine just for the Ultra Scope.

I do agree buying an xserve just for Ultra Scope is over kill, WAAAAY to much money just for that one purpose.

The San and Xserve will reside in an Xrackpro 2 box which will cut noise down drastically and yes we will be using strictly fibre.

But from the look of things seems i better get a cheap windows boxand slap that in there as well.

Using the server form factor helps with my space issue as well

Nigel

in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on May 10, 2010 at 3:10:52 am

Hi Nigel,

We haven't tested on the Xserve but there are 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 slots in it. I'm not sure if any of those slots are double width, but if they are not, then you'll not be able to fit the recommended GTX 285 card.

It will not be advisable to run any processor instensive rendering in the background as this will most likely interfere with UltraScope resulting in dropped frames.

Also, 4 GBs of memory is fine. Anymore will not be beneficial to UltraScope.

The GT120 does work. By "work", I mean UltraScope will run, you will see waveforms and picture updates but we cannot guarantee realtime performance, i.e. you'll see dropped fraes.

[Nigel Thompson] "So i was wondering if i can Dual purpose the machine instead of buying yet another machine just for the Ultra Scope"

As above, if you're only running one thing at a time, and given that the recommended conditions are meet, it should be fine, but not when you're trying to render and UltraScope at the same time.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on May 11, 2010 at 4:15:14 am

I am one of those people Bob was talking about. I wanted cheap... but also something that would work well. So I bought the B&H turnkey system for $1600.00, added a 24" monitor I had kicking around... and I was good to go. Just installed it today. Brainlessly simple and HALF the cost of a new Mac Pro, let alone the added cost of the EVGA GTX 285. And yes, it's a cheap computer, a HP Pavillion 6340f with a GeForce 9800. But Bob said it would run fine... and it does.

I'm with Bob here. I don't see the market for the Mac UltraScope unless your Great Aunt Bertha leaves you a Mac Pro in her will. And I'm a stone cold Mac guy. I consider Windows a cruel joke. But, unless you consider the Windows alternative here... the jokes on you. Save the XServe horsepower for something that needs it.

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
C a r b o n d a l e * C o l o r a d o * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on May 11, 2010 at 11:00:21 am

Hey Guys:

Thanks for all the advice. Well as Kristian said my idea just wont work so imma leave it alone and get myself a pavilion 6340 and stick in the Geforce 9800 like you said.

will keep you guys informed. And Aunt Bertha has Alzheimers , doubt very much she will be leaving me that Mac pro

in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on May 11, 2010 at 2:11:16 pm

If you are going to build it yourself, check the specs on the B&H site. The Pavillion has 8GB of RAM and the Geforce 9800 has 1GB. That will probably make a difference in performance. Right now, I'm seeing about a 1 frame lag behind the Canvas in FCP and the UltraScope, something I assume is pretty normal.

Good Luck!

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
C a r b o n d a l e * C o l o r a d o * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]