FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic DL HD Extreme 3D vs AJA Kona LHI vs Matrox MX02 Le

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Karczewski
Blackmagic DL HD Extreme 3D vs AJA Kona LHI vs Matrox MX02 Le
on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:23:21 am

Hi all,

Like most people in the market for some new capture hardware i waited for the outcome of NAB 2010 and was impressed with all the offerings from Blackmagic. Leaving the Davinci Resolve aside, i was impressed with the new Decklink HD extreme 3D, but now i am a bit unsure as to what will be the best capture card for me to purchase, either

Blackmagic DL Extreme 3D
AJA Kona LHI
Matrox MX02 Le

Basically i am in the market for one of the above and can afford any of them. initially for my needs the 3D capability of DL Extreme is a bit overkill, but the card is future proof and at least for now is required to use the Davinci Resolve.
The Matrox MX02 LE also a good idea, but when truly comparing it to the BM and AJA, the MAX Technology does become a bit of a novelty.

Having read through manufacturers websites and Creative Cow, i am still unsure as to which unit is right for me.

Essentially what i want is a unit that offers:
1) Some RT/final cut pro acceleration (yes for AJA and BM)
2) RS422 control (All 3)
3) The ability to output to a HDTV/HDMI monitor for color grading (Matrox only? i realise all the arguments about getting a pro monitor such as an FSI etc, but i can;t afford that - yet, 4 months time, yes.)

4) The ability to do real time hardware based Up/Down/Cross conversions.
5) Accelerated encoding (Matrox only with MAX? - bit of a novelty)

I mainly work with HD, HDV and the occasional DV project, with that in mind, what does everything think?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Blackmagic DL HD Extreme 3D vs AJA Kona LHI vs Matrox MX02 Le
on Apr 30, 2010 at 3:04:33 am

Digital Voodoo 64AV is the way to go.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Blackmagic DL HD Extreme 3D vs AJA Kona LHI vs Matrox MX02 Le
on May 2, 2010 at 7:21:18 am

Hi Andrew,

[Andrew Karczewski] "3) The ability to output to a HDTV/HDMI monitor for color grading (Matrox only? i realise all the arguments about getting a pro monitor such as an FSI etc, but i can;t afford that - yet, 4 months time, yes.)
"

So will the HD Extreme card as it has HDMI outputs as well.

[Andrew Karczewski] "4) The ability to do real time hardware based Up/Down/Cross conversions.
"

A yes as well for the HD Extreme 3D.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]