FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connect VHS player to intensity pro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mayer Chalom
Connect VHS player to intensity pro
on Apr 15, 2010 at 1:47:48 am

Hello. I've been asked to digitize and transfer vhs to dvd (no editing) by a friend. I currently have a mac pro fcp 8 core 2.8 with leopard 7.1 and a blackmagic intensity pro. I've been capturing the vhs video through the pinnacle video capture hub with video being outputted from a vhs player for mac.

Can I use the blackmagic intensity pro to connect my vhs player and capture the video through final cut pro and choose any file format. I want to capture to final cut because the pinnacle capture system is so flawed it won't let me choose my capture drive and folder so everything is unorganized.
So what do I need to connect my vhs to the intensity pro if it is possible?

Can you explain it to me step by step I'm a little rusty on my tech info.
Oh btw the only tape camcorders I have are an original canon elura and the original canon xl1 both which apparently do not have analog to digital conversion which through my readings have concluded is the most popular way (and cheapest way) to digitize way but it is impossible for me unless I invest in a new camera.

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
Re: Connect VHS player to intensity pro
on Apr 15, 2010 at 4:31:19 am

I Think technically you can send sd singal over the HDMI, but that would require some converts.

However I am pretty sure the cannon XL1 can take input signals.

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
Re: Connect VHS player to intensity pro
on Apr 15, 2010 at 5:08:31 am

Hi Mayer,

[Mayer Chalom] "Can I use the blackmagic intensity pro to connect my vhs player and capture the video through final cut pro and choose any file format."

Yes you can do that although we don't test "all file formats" but provide easy setups in Final Cut Pro so you can choose one of the ones we've tested and know works well.

Depending on your vintage of VHS player, it might have a single composite video output (good quality), or it might offer S-Video output (better quality) or some current models even offer component analog video output (best quality). Follow the connection diagrams in the Intensity PDF manual to connect the best quality analog video that your VHS player provides. You will also want to connect the left and right audio connections.

Having done that, launch Final Cut Pro, go to the Final Cut Pro menu and choose Easy Setup. Select a Blackmagic NTSC or PAL easy setup to match the format of your video. You will find several Blackmagic NTSC easy setups and several Blackmagic PAL easy setups providing you with a selection of codecs.

If you have the storage space and speed, select a Blackmagic NTSC Uncompressed or Blackmagic PAL uncompressed easy setup. Uncompressed will retain the full quality of your video capture which is nice because encoding for DVD will cause one generation of lossy compression and it's great to avoid multiple generations of lossy compression

If your disk storage doesn't have the speed or capacity to handle the uncompressed codec, then choose from one of the compressed options such as ProRes, JPEG or DV50.

You can now capture your VHS tape in to Final Cut Pro. Given your friend doesn't want any editing, you can then send the captured sequence to DVD Studio Pro via Compressor. You could use iDVD because it is much simpler than DVD Studio Pro but you will achieve a much higher quality DVD if you use DVD Studio Pro. Encoding to DVD always takes a while but it will be quicker if you captured with an uncompressed easy setup as no decoding will be necessary before re-encoding for DVD.

You should also be able to use Intensity Pro to capture from the RCA connections on your Canon Elura and the Canon XL1. The most you might need is an S-Video to 2 RCA adapter so you can capture with S-Video rather than composite.

Good luck!

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]