FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture To MPEG2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Marley
Capture To MPEG2
on Apr 11, 2010 at 4:36:48 am

I have a problem. I am recording baseball games and need to create dvd's of those games as fast as possible. Up to this point I have had to take the avi files home, re encode them, and then fulfill the orders the next day. This is taking allot of time.

I have pretty good scripts to take an mpeg2 file and make a dvd iso from it.

My problem is getting that mpeg2 file. I have a BM intensity pro, the captured video looks great, but takes a long time to re-encode. I am capturing at standard def, does anyone know of a way to capture right to mpeg2, or maybe even to the dvd VOB files from a black magic intensity.

Ideally I would like to have the completed dvd image ready to go in as little as 5 minutes after the 1 1/2 game ends.

Thanks, any ideas will help, at this point I am getting pretty desperate.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Capture To MPEG2
on Apr 11, 2010 at 8:47:20 am

Hi.

Sonds like dedicated encoding hardware will be the solution or mpg2 capture card.
Really beefy computer will also do the trick but not as fast.

In the other hand why do you need dvd. There is a lot of stuff that plays out files directly.
DVD with usb port etc.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Bob Jacob
on Apr 11, 2010 at 2:23:03 pm

As to why I need dvd. We sell the dvds to parents, so it needs to be a simple easy to use format, dvd seems to fit that bill in this day and age.

Any advise on a good mpeg2 capture card? I thought the intensity pro could do this, imagine my surprise when I found it couldn't.

I have a little startech capture dongle, cheap little thing, but it can capture to mpeg2, its just the quality is really, really bad.

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 12, 2010 at 3:01:27 am

5 minutes is just simply un realistic on any computer. also note that avi is just a media container and is uncompressed (as is the BM's source) I don't think you can capture directly from it into compressed file. also would take longer for the transcoding.

you'd probably be better off using a hardware dvd recorder and a dvd duplicator

Return to posts index

Bob Jacob
on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:14:55 pm

Jason, thanks for the response.

I think your are right and wrong on your answer though (mostly right though). You are 100% correct that you can't take an uncompressed avi and turn it into a dvd in 5 minutes its just not possible. In fact it would seem to take over 2 hours to author a 1 hour dvd.

You are also correct that the intensity has not ability to record mpeg2. This has been a very disappointing surprise, but their is not really much I can do about it.

Now if I can get a good quality mpeg2 capture card (remember these are going into dvd's so I want a dvd quality capture if I can get it), then I can capture into mpeg2. If the capture is is already in mpeg2 format then I can certainly author a dvd in 5 minutes.

I guess its all about the capture format. Any advise for a good quality mpeg2 capture card? Looks like i will be using svideo, but if their is one that can capture hdmi (from out switcher) that would be even better.

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 12, 2010 at 4:39:05 pm

you may want to look at some of canopus stuff (espally used stuff on ebay) I think they had an older pci card which input s-video/composite. which also had a hardware mpeg decoder with (a spareate pci card) it. but I'm unsure of the quality of them

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Apr 12, 2010 at 8:20:06 pm

Just about any tv capture card (ex ati) for the pc will capture directly to mpeg2 compatible files that burn directly to dvd. K

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 12, 2010 at 8:41:16 pm

yeah just about any will. but it's going to be low res. you need something more professional than just a consumer dvr card

Return to posts index

Evan Meades
on Apr 15, 2010 at 2:17:38 am

okay here's another way that's pretty quick, great quality but a little tricky!
When I need a quick mpeg2/VOB file I record my BM Card's output via S video to my consumer SD DVD recorder in real time. Yeah component would be better but at best I only have svideo ....it still hold up pretty good!.

From there, I "finalize" a disc, load that disc on my Mac and copy over the relevant VOB file (pretty easy to find, normally the biggest one) to the mac.Eject that disc...no longer needed! (1 disc wasted unless you can live with the crappy menu those DVD recorders make!)

I normally have a remade "disc image" DVD menu made with a dummy VOB file on my Mac and modify as needed to a new disc image. Replace that with the new VOB file, taking care about renaming exactly! I also use a program called MyDVD to check there is not a coding problem and adjusting the aspect ratio if needed. Test in Mac's DVD Player...burn.

Bit fiddly but works well and quick if you are organised!
Best workaround until BM or others make a "simple good quality" mpeg2 realtime encoder but....probably won't happen due to copy protection etc etc....!!!

Cheers, Evan

Cheers!

Evan
G5 Dual 2, 10.4.8, FCPHD 6, AEPB CS3, Decklink Extreme , Motion2 (Apple Sudio Suite yada yada)

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 15, 2010 at 2:29:38 am

your probably never going to see a mpeg2 hardware encoder in blackmagic cards or any other pro i/o for that matter. it's not a copy protection issues or anything. it's just the simple fact that the whole point of the cards are to give you uncompress sd/hd video and move away from compressed dv etc, codecs. in a professional environment you'd never want to directly import mpeg2 video to edit, and that is the point of these cards.

That is why I'm saying a hardware solution would be much better in this case. some hardware dvd recorder that makes

Return to posts index

Michael Kelly
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:50:35 am

Hi Chaps,

I have a Digital Rapids card that captures to MPEG2 (or a host of many formats) in both PAL and NTSC at the same time, it also produces an AC3 audio file for me, really robust and reliable, had it for about 5 years.

MIke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]