FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Won't Install

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark barrett
Intensity Pro Won't Install
on Apr 7, 2010 at 11:39:17 pm

I purchased an Intensity Pro to transfer Hi8 to digital but on attempting to install the card the computer hangs at bootup on the Windows XP startup screen. Never goes any further. Also tried installing Intensity drivers beforehand. I tried the Intensity card and my video card in all the different slot permutations without success. Graphics card works in all the slots so I would say the slots are not defective. It looks like an incompatibility, perhaps due to the Cossfire ready motherboard. I am not using Crossfire, ATI card or ATI drivers.
Here are the relevant components: MSI 790fx-gd70 mobo 4Gb ram, AMD Phenom II X4 955 cpu, Zotac ECO GeForce 9800 GT 1GB video card (nvidia drivers of course).
BTW the Intensity installs ok in someone elses Vista system with a different GeForce 9800 GT so I am assuming card is not defective.
Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Intensity Pro Won't Install
on Apr 9, 2010 at 10:30:43 pm

Any previous software conflicting? Is the OS getting the right set of drivers for it?
Try going to the setup bios with someone with a computer brain next to you. Check speeds of the busses (and what their limits are if they`re all set too fast).
Here`s an odd guess of mine to try: try putting the Intensity Pro card on the wrong side of the video card.
It seems like the MB, the Intensity Pro, and the software don`t see each other at the same time, whether right at the install or at a reboot. Borrow a small "guinea pig" hard drive and do test installs. You may bust through. These are all guesses of mine but nothing like trying something different enough the easy way.

Return to posts index

mark barrett
on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:00:08 am

Thanks for your suggestions.
No hardware or software conflicts on this system up til now. In fact only intensity and zotac video cards on this machine. And I have tried the video card and intensity pro in all slot combinations with no success. I also checked and reset the bios before but havent looked at bus speeds yet. I'll try that and let you know.

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:55:41 am

have you tried disabling crossfire in the bios?
also have you tired installing the driver after you boot in safemode (also use the newest ones off the website not the cd)

if nothing else works you might just, back up everything and do a clean install of the o/s but that would be last

Return to posts index

mark barrett
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:18:59 pm

I finally was able to complete bootup without screen artifacts by increasing pci-e bus speed from 100 mhz to 148. At 150 there were a lot of screen artifacts and the computer didnt finish the boot sequence, at 149 finished boot up but with screen artifacts.
However with complete boot up the infinity pro was not found by the hardware manager. Instead a realtek audio dialogue popped up asking what i had plugged into the onboard sound. i removed the realtek drivers and still no recognition of the intensity. I removed and re-installed the intensity drivers (most recent). Still no indication of the presence of the card in control panel. Changed slots again for the card.
In short, presence of the card in any slot at pci-e 100mhz hangs bootup. At 148 mhz bootup completes but card is not recognized in any slot by computer.
Although card successfully installed in someone elses computer I will try yet another system to determine whether i have a defective card. I am starting to look for recommendations for a different card ...
BTW - i havent seen anything in bios specifically related to crossfire.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 12, 2010 at 8:27:56 pm

Had you tried my guess fix of interchanging the video card and Intensity Pro slots?

Return to posts index

mark barrett
on Apr 12, 2010 at 10:46:28 pm

There are 4 pci-e slots + 1X one. I tried the intensity in all 5 and the video card in 4. The only difference was the point in the bootup sequence when the system would freeze.
I think the easiest option now is to try it again in a different system to verify again that the card is not defective.

Return to posts index

Jason Finnigan
on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:00:38 pm

well I wouldn't put it in the gfx pci-e slot. it wouldn't work as the gfx connects via the northbridge and the rest of them connect via the southbridge.

Return to posts index

mark barrett
on Apr 13, 2010 at 1:25:43 am

Thanks Jason.
Graphics card will work in any of the pci-e slots (except 1X) but i use the first 16X one - http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=...
My guess is the crossfire capability is posing a problem, or card is defective.
Too bad because I only needed it for 200 hours s-video capture/transfer and the intensity was an affordable solution ...

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 13, 2010 at 1:44:59 pm

Mark, why don`t you take the shortcut? Buy, build, or borrow, another PCIe- capable motherboard and computer and use it to make "takes" and "burns" from the Intensity Pro. Then sneakernet the DVD takes to your Asus as an editing machine.
Otherwise, don`t be afraid to interchange your video card and Intensity Pro slots (if it works). You don`t think you`ll really run out of enough good video horsepower using your video card in a SouthBridge "x 4" slot do you? Just be sure to adjust the setup bios or any jumpers to actually enable available speeds.

Return to posts index

mark barrett
on May 6, 2010 at 2:23:51 pm

Just an update to confirm card checked out on another couple of systems so definitely this is an incompatibility with mine. I'll be looking for another solution and selling this intensity pro when I have one.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]