FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a PVR

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Hadfield
Creating a PVR
on Mar 25, 2010 at 11:09:15 am

Ok I know this sounds like this might get asked here alot but I want to create a PC or Mac that can record HDSDI streams (4 Cameras) and transcode them to quicktime (HD or SD) for editing in FCP and DVD (For the client to take with after the show) at the same time.

The idea of having a machine with 2 or 4 decklink cards in with fast raid or have 4 small (Shuttle Pcs) with decklink cards in.

I need recording software that can transcode the HDSDI stream to Quicktime and DVD at the same time?

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Creating a PVR
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:48:19 am

Hi.

I wonder why you want to use PC ?

For the cost ? Then you should look at the 4 linux box maybe. In the same time linux box will probably not give you prorez if you will go out for mac. Converting on the fly does not seem good option as it will not give you cheap solution. The other way would be to use consumer dvd writer that write the feed directly but there you have time limitation and no start and stop.

Maybe you could have 4 intensity cards on one mac but it will not have sdi.

I personally would look time as the cheapest gear you have there. Client will get dvd a bit later.
Yes you could get that in instant but it will not be cheap.

It is like with cars ... you want cheap you buy Suzuki Liana like in Top Gear. You like fast you get Enzo.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Creating a PVR
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:57:51 pm

Do this:
1. Buy 4 MultiBridges and hook them to your 4 cameras. One of the output methods on each has to be FRAME SYNCHRONIZED to the other 3 so your LiveVideoEditor, your LiveAudioEditor, and probably your FloorManager can make production, not sour soup on the audio, video, effects, and lighting mixer boards. Ask more questions (here, Broadcasters, etc) about Frame Synchronization. The two main outputs, video, and audio, complete with enough RELIABLE, UNOBJECTIONABLE effects can then be outputted into your main power computer. This could require a fifth DeckLink or something else.
BlackMagics and AJAs can`t coexist in the same computer if you run across a guess for needing it.
2. At the same time each Multibridge and if, any other extra sound recording in particular, should output to it`s own recorder computer (or stand-alone recorder, easier) in case your live mixer editing is a blow-up and needs editing. Also some live results are inappropriate for a given use even though they are successful.
3. You`ve opened up a can of worms but if you are succesful, then you are a major live producer. By the way, Broadcasting this stuff live can take advertising and arrangements that are awfully steep.
Mixers mix and therefore use "no" time delay doing this. Computers compute, and what does computing take? Time (delay)! Therefore you can`t use a computer as a practical high quality live mixer. Neither video nor audio in complete practical terms. I haven`t looked at the fine details of HDMI streams in particular but this is probably most of your answer. Fortunately, QuickTime is essentially red, green, blue, and audio; and lends itself easily to live mixer boards. By the way, if your live streams are remotes or especially internets, your idea of perfect productions could be completely impossible.

Creating a PVR
by Phil Hadfield on Mar 25, 2010 at 7:09:15 am

Ok I know this sounds like this might get asked here alot but I want to create a PC or Mac that can record HDSDI streams (4 Cameras) and transcode them to quicktime (HD or SD) for editing in FCP and DVD (For the client to take with after the show) at the same time.

The idea of having a machine with 2 or 4 decklink cards in with fast raid or have 4 small (Shuttle Pcs) with decklink cards in.

I need recording software that can transcode the HDSDI stream to Quicktime and DVD at the same time? Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]