FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVI Extender and DVI-D Distro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Ackerman
DVI Extender and DVI-D Distro
on Mar 19, 2010 at 6:40:58 pm

Hoping some of you can help me with this. I have two situations I need your help with:

1. I have a Ultrascope that I want to distribute to a couple of places, one of them requires HD-SDI and I purchased BM's DVI Extender. However I can't get the computer to output the Ultrascope to the main and secondary DVI ports. When I try to DA the main DVI port, and put the DVI extender on that, it just gives me black.

2. I am hoping to use the DVI Extender to extend the DVI port on my Mac Mini. It does the same thing, just black, whether it is plugged into the Mini directly or through a DA.

I was hoping that the DVI extender just converted DVI to HD-SDI, but alas I think there is more going on in the background than that.

Does anyone know of a way to "trick" the DVI extender software into taking any DVI-D signal and converting it to HD-SDI, without having to use the secondary port on a Mac.

Jon Ackerman

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DVI Extender and DVI-D Distro
on Mar 19, 2010 at 10:33:21 pm

the purpose of the DVI extender is to convert DVI to an SDI signal, so it can go into a router (for example). At the other end you would use a SDI to DVI converter to convert the signal back to DVI.
This would make COAX the extention medium for your application.

I have found that depending on the graphics card that you are using, the DVI to SDI extender does not always work. Let me give you a simple example of what does NOT work. I had a MacBookPro that I had to get into a Panasonic HD-SDI switcher. I used a Blackmagic DVI to HD-SDI converter to convert the Mac Book Pro DVI output to HD-SDI, and you know what I got into the swticher - NOTHING. If you are not at the right frame rate and resolution, you get nothing. The real application is to extend the DVI signal, not to be a standards converter (of DVI to HD-SDI).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jon Ackerman
on Mar 20, 2010 at 1:58:04 am

Bob,

Thanks for your input on my issues....

I totally get the idea behind the DVI Extender. My question is: has anyone gotten one of these to work with a Mac Mini. I am trying to basically extend the DVI-D in a Mac Mini.

I can get the BM Ultrascope computer to extend the DVI to HD-SDI because on my HD-SDI monitor, I can see the desktop. However, once I launch the UltraScope software, it stops displaying the Ultrascope software on the DVI Extender.

I was just hoping to get some answers or input from someone who has gotten it to work on the Mac Mini. Black Magic? Anyone else?

Jon

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Mar 20, 2010 at 10:49:44 pm

hi jon

for the first setup you mentioned in the first post.
did the DVIextender work when you put it straight to the main out.
if so
maybe try to use a gefen DVI detective record the EDID of the BM-DVIextender and put this after programming between the DVI-DA and the CPU.

not sure if this work because i have the strong feeling that BM overule the EDID mechanism

BM is doing something special with the Ultrascope and mediaexpress software to address the graphic card. i guess the software is bypassing the driver of the videocard. why i guess simplyfing there program and raising the quality of the output. but at what cost (a lot of incompatibility).

off topic. for SD use with macbooks. if the apple composite adaptor works your BM-DVIextender will work too.

great

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Jon Ackerman
on Mar 21, 2010 at 5:47:20 pm

Maurice,

The DVI extender did not work out of the Mac Mini at all. I think that BM has programmed the DVI extender to only work out of the 2nd display port. If this is the case, then it won't work at all. Although I can't think of a reason (there probably is one though), why it shouldn't work off of any DVI-D port.

As for the Ultrascope issues: I again think that BM over rides the graphics card, however I should still be able to overcome that by telling Windows to control the graphics instead of the program. Although this might freak out the Ultrascope software.

I would have thought that all of BM gear would have played nicely together. But I am might be mistaken. I know they don't work on the weekends, but if I could get some insight from them that would be great.

In a live setting, being able to use the DVI extender to extend the Ultrascope to a router so I could send it anywhere I need to would be perfect. So why can't we use the DVI extender on the main DVI-D port?

Jon

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:22:34 pm

In a live setting, being able to use the DVI extender to extend the Ultrascope to a router so I could send it anywhere I need to would be perfect. So why can't we use the DVI extender on the main DVI-D port?

BOY, I am confused as to what you are confused about. If you take the DVI port out of your ATI 4670 card running your Ultrascope (or whatever DVI card is running it), you send this into the DVI extender, send it over a coax, and use another DVI extender to convert the signal back to DVI. If you just want to extend your DVI signal far away, you can use a Gefen DVI converter (I personally use the IO Gear DVE200 DVI extender that costs $32, and will work up to 90'). If you are trying to use your Blackmagic DVI Extender as a scan converter to feed HD monitors, you will fail.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2010 at 11:45:35 pm

Jon,
I know why you are confused. The Blackmagic site says this -

"Now you can route your computer monitor via your SDI router! DVI Extender lets you extend the DVI-D connection to your computer monitor via simple SDI cables! Now it's much easer to connect your computer displays anywhere in your facility, or even to more than one monitor when using any 3 Gb/s SDI router. DVI Extender also works as a regular DVI to SD/HD-SDI video converter, that’s perfect for broadcast graphics!"

And goes on to say -
"Convert DVI to SDI Video
With DVI Extender, you can harness your computer’s built in 3D accelerated display to create realtime broadcast graphics in standard definition and high definition video. Simply set the control panel to Video Output and DVI extender will output NTSC, PAL, 720 HD or 1080 HD resolution SDI video with embedded audio from your computer via the audio input jack."

REPLY - well, there are unfortunately LOTS of exceptions to this. You read this and say "WOW, this will convert anything coming out of a PC or MAC, and display it on an HD monitor". Well, this is not true, and I got stuck in the SAME BOAT trying to take the output of a MAC BOOK PRO and doing a standards conversion so I could go into a Panasonic HD-SDI switcher. The BMD converter only works at certain frame rates and frequencies - it is NOT A STANDARDS or SCAN converter.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jon Ackerman
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:35:46 pm

Bob,

Thanks again for your help. I have figured out a few things with the BM DVI extender.

1. It only works for you if you can use it on a secondary display port (i.e. DVI port #2 on your Mac Pro).

2. You can use it on your Mac Mini, but you have to use a usb to DVI port adapter that is sold by companies like Arkview. They are relatively cheap ($90 +s/h).

3. The BM DVI extender really does a good job of converting your secondary output on your monitor to HD-SDI. I have it patched into my Miranda Kalidescope wall and it works flawlessly.

All that to say, I guess I have found a way around my issues for now. I still would love to hear from BM why the DVI extender doesn't work on the primary port, or why it couldn't work from a DA, but other than that, I have been happy with these relatively cheap devices for converting DVI-D to HD-SDI for monitoring.

Jon

Return to posts index

Alain Leblanc
on Oct 7, 2010 at 7:07:56 pm

Answer on BMD DVI extension:
Have a look in the product manual, you will find that if the resolution is NOT a valid SDI signal (480 - 720 - 1080), at the other end of the coax you will absolutely need the BMD Deck Link to provide back the resolution witch is NOT a valid video signal.
Otherwise, set your PC resolution to a valid scan lines, and your are in SDI, SD or HD.
It is in the SPEC.

AL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]