FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVI Extender Workflow

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Howden
DVI Extender Workflow
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:01:08 am

Hi,

I'm setting up a new video/audio suite and am trying to find a solution for monitoring. The Mac Pro has/will have 2 Audio cards, 1 RAID card and 1 Graphics Card. I want to run the DVI extender attached to the DVI out of the internal Graphics card and then send the SDI to a broadcast monitor or LCD/LED display of some kind.

Will this allow me to monitor Uncompressed HD video from Final Cut Pro, Color, After Effects etc with correct color and frame accurate playback. Assuming I have a calibrated video monitor that accepts SDI and the hard drive speed to back it up.

Also, do I need to add the HD link as a combo or is the DVI Extender alone sufficient...

Many thanks in Advance :-)

1 X Dual 2GHZ G5
5 GIG RAM
1 X Decklink Pro
1 X UL3D SCSI CARD
4 X SEAGATE 10K 136 GIG SCSI Drives Software RAID
Final Cut Studio, Adobe Creative Suite etc

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: DVI Extender Workflow
on Mar 19, 2010 at 2:29:53 am

no no no - the graphics card is not an HD output. IF you want an HD output to go to an HD monitor, you need a video output card. Blackmagic is one of 4 vendors that makes a product that does this (Blackmagic, AJA, Matrox and MOTU). The DVI out of your MAC Graphics card is not the HD output, and cannot be sent into an HDVTR (for example).

The DVI Extender does exactly that - extend DVI across a coax cable, and will even let you send a DVI signal into a router. But if you want to feed an HD monitor, an HD VTR, etc. you need a product like the Decklink card from Blackmagic. Blackmagic Decklink cards have full audio on them, so you DO NOT need any additional audio cards in your MAC.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Howden
on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:47:29 am

Thanks Bob,

But Just to clarify I already have a Mac set up with 2 Audio Cards (I'm a recording musician too) one runs is in/out for recording the other runs a suite of plug ins. I want to ad a RAID and I would like to run a broadcast monitor. Which leaves no room for a decklink card.

So from what I've read the DVI-Extender will turn a DVI signal into a SDI signal but will this display video from say final cut or color similar to a video monitor? I realise that the Mac will probably just see it as a second display...

1 X Dual 2GHZ G5
5 GIG RAM
1 X Decklink Pro
1 X UL3D SCSI CARD

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 19, 2010 at 10:26:44 am

HI.

If you really need accurate color then you need to go the route Bob gave you.
If you just want to see picture then .... but still.

If you get SDI capable monitor then i think extra few hundred for capture card is nothing.
I wonder if you really have to use all internal audio cards?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Adam Howden
on Mar 19, 2010 at 9:53:26 pm

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes it's seeming like something has to go. At this stage it looks like I'm leaning towards the audio capture card - to be replaced by a firewire solution...

1 X Dual 2GHZ G5
5 GIG RAM
1 X Decklink Pro
1 X UL3D SCSI CARD

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:14:31 am

HI.

Sounds like a very good plan to me.

I have apogee fw card and it is perfect.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]