FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Intensity Pro freezing computer

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Guillot
Black Magic Intensity Pro freezing computer
on Feb 20, 2010 at 3:31:08 am

Hello, I have a BMIP, and I use it to stream live video. When I view it for too long in 720p, it freezes my computer. Output to my TV still continues however.

My specs are as followed:

Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM HDMI
Processor: AMD 64 X2 6000+
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
Sound Cards: Onboard, SB Audigy 4
RAM: 2 GB

I checked the GPU temperature and it's at 55 degrees celcius idle, and does not exceed 65 under stress. Freezing often occurs anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour.

I use these programs to stream:
VH Multicam
Adobe Flash Media Encoder 2.5

I'd like to pinpoint the problem and solve it as soon as possible, but I'm at a loss of the cause of the crashing.

Return to posts index

Chris Guillot
Re: Black Magic Intensity Pro freezing computer
on Feb 20, 2010 at 7:47:56 pm

UPDATE: I've tested that it simply freezes my computer when previewing BMIP using any capture software for a long enough time. It's difficult to test whether the problem is resolved or not as it takes about an hour to eventually lock up my computer.

Return to posts index

Chris Guillot
on Feb 21, 2010 at 8:03:38 pm

ANOTHER UPDATE: I've attempted to remove any conflicting codecs to no avail, I've also updated the drivers from 3.4 to 3.52, and it also had no effect.

I've noticed that when it locks up my computer, there is still output to my TV, I also have the audio going into the 'line in' in my sound card, and the XBox 360's sound still functions normally. This rules out that the motherboard is crashing as I'm using an onboard sound card.

This means that it's either some kind of hardware fault (CPU, Video card) or there is a software conflict of some sort. I'm not sure where to start with this and could really use some help.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:17:15 pm

That Asus M2A-VM HDMI uses an application-specific monitoring function called APIC to monitor and send duty cycle (speed) control through the ASIC hardware chip where it tells the ACPI (second but main power levels) to lower or raise CPU and a few other pieces of hardware`s power. If the APIC doesn`t see your stream TV viewing and just sees that your keyboard and mouse are untouched for an hour it could turn the machine nearly to sleep causing problems, sometimes video before audio. As you are watching your stream, run your mouse in a circle then tap your numlock key twice then circle your mouse again and tap the numlock key twice again. Do the routine every 7 minutes. If this routine stops the problem then it means the APIC didn`t see the BlackMagic watching the stream. Likely turning off the APIC function in the bios but making the ACPI settings (and Operating System power settings) (still?) sensible will be an improvement. If the APIC sees your viewing application "too well" it could turn the CPU and the rest of the computer up to full tilt, heating anything at all in the computer quite a bit. Then maybe the CPU cools somewhat and the slowing fans not cooling things enough repeats the same havoc. Take off the side lid and try a small hand hair dryer. Heater off, fan on, tests each chip for overheating by curing it. Heat on, warms the computer too much so you can repeat the fan- only test. Some people completely turn off APIC then use a keyboard with a turbo button (and it`s software), and there are plenty of other nice tricks out there. Keep asking around. The problem has nothing at all to do with most types of conflicts.
There`s a heatsink near the PCI chips with the word, ASUS on it. It`s too hot there, above and below. The reason is because there`s a whole ATI SB600 video output GPU ("card") below it. Even though you are presently using an NVidia `8800 display card, the video probably goes through the SB600 on the way to the `8800 so when the SB600 gets far too hot the video will freeze. Pencil and paper your wiring and cables and uninstall your motherboard. When you remove the "ASUS" heatsink, plane it`s top down to a shiny surface then rubber cement a much better heatsink right on top of it. If you only have regular heatsinks not a great one stack them 2 or 3 inches tall. Getting the rubber cement contacting layers right during the next couple of days is up to you. Put a fresh dab of component cooler grease between the bottom surface of the heatsink and the SB600 and re-assemble. Even the slightly cooler SB400 on my type of Athlon 64 motherboard got this treatment but I didn`t wait for a video freeze-up. A note here for users of motherboards with AGP video slots (so not the PCI-e motherboard above): If you test the motherboard before putting it back in the case, be sure the AGP card doesn`t raise a 1/16 inch in it`s slot or the top and bottom contacts will short- circuit, often burning out circuitry on the motherboard. My advice for doing it, is don`t.

Return to posts index

Chris Guillot
on Feb 22, 2010 at 7:00:37 pm

Isn't APIC required to have dual-core functionality?

Nonetheless, I will test if APIC is the culprit of my crashes.

Return to posts index

Chris Guillot
on Feb 23, 2010 at 12:32:03 am

It turns out that APIC is not the issue. My computer will freeze regardless of mouse and keyboard activity.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: BlackMagic IntensityPro freezing M2A-VM-HDMI
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:58:49 pm

Chris, contact my e- mail, educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com
I`ve found some regular sellers of replacement motherboards mostly running $20-45 apiece. Fred

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]