FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Card not recognized in Windows 7

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy prada
on Feb 18, 2010 at 12:08:29 am

Mmmm!

I've recently been migrating hardware / software between two different systems. A previously working Intensity Pro card on a W7HP/Q6700/8Gbram/Nvidia9600GT/Asus Mobo system (worked perfectly) was moved to a W7HP/Core i7950/12Gbram/Nvidia9400GT/AsRock X58 system. Installation of 3.5.1 drivers caused several blue screens and a request for a firmware update and now the card is not recognized at all by Windows 7 despite a fresh install of this. I still have a recognized 9400GT graphics card but no Intensity Pro card. Installation of the decklink software enables media express and video showing in the box but no video output to an external monitor. There are no format options available in the settings in control panel indicating no hardware present.

Any thoughts from the community on what has happened?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Fred Jodry
Re: Intensity Pro Card not recognized in Windows 7
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:13:31 pm

Amongst other possibilities, make sure the bios settings are right; there might even be special detecting routines or settings. -And make sure the card isn`t in a slot unreachable by the settings for it`s type. Also (Ahah!) it looks more likely that you crashed your 3.5.1 drivers install and even though you received an instruction to update your drivers the crashed driver(s) install is unremovably in the way leaving a full backup and reinstall to be the sensible way to reapproach. Try borrowing a "Guinea Pig" hard drive for practicing (testing) installs without doing things the long way.
- - - -
by andy prada on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:08:29 pm
Mmmm!
I've recently been migrating hardware / software between two different systems. A previously working Intensity Pro card on a W7HP/Q6700/8Gbram/Nvidia9600GT/Asus Mobo system (worked perfectly) was moved to a W7HP/Core i7950/12Gbram/Nvidia9400GT/AsRock X58 system. Installation of 3.5.1 drivers caused several blue screens and a request for a firmware update and now the card is not recognized at all by Windows 7 despite a fresh install of this. I still have a recognized 9400GT graphics card but no Intensity Pro card. Installation of the decklink software enables media express and video showing in the box but no video output to an external monitor. There are no format options available in the settings in control panel indicating no hardware present.
Any thoughts from the community on what has happened?

Return to posts index

andy prada
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:50:02 pm

Went one further than this. I tried installing the card on a completely clean cloned Windows 7 installation (I took the precaution of backing up first) This installation doesn't even recognize the card at all so I suspect the rogue installation may have damaged the card.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:04:06 pm

If you think that is so, ask the manufacturer (BMD) if there`s a rewritable c-mos on the card that may need to be re- firmwared. Can you see if there`s a way to check if a sequence of updating drivers works properly while the formal platform install won`t?

Return to posts index

andy prada
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:22:56 pm

Chris Pearse of BMD wrote this to me:

A firmware update should not be able to fry a card or the PCIe bus, no. It is effectively just a transmission of data across the PCIe bus like any other. If the firmware were to fail during the update process, this could cause the card to fail.

It is however possible that the PCIe slot may fry a card if there were a voltage spike. We have seen some cards where the PCIe power connector on the card has sustained physical damage from such an event.

This could happen for a multitude of reasons. But I would suggest taking a look at the card and the components on it for any damage, especially the PCIe connector. If there is damage, I would not try using the card again, and would suggest not using another card in the same motherboard.

One other thing that could be a possibility is that we have seen some incompatibilities with certain X58 motherboards, where the cards just aren't recognised, or function correctly. This shouldn't affect the card or motherboard in any way. Whilst I have no data on this specific motherboard (only the Asus P6T and Intel DX58SO motherboards have been verified as incompatible so far), this could indeed be the problem.

If I can help you any further, please do get back to me.

I think I might return the card to them and have it checked out. I don't like the sound of not being able to use this card at all with my system.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:58:53 pm

Before you wrap it up you might find some specific adjustments in the bios that help in a single reboot:
Toggling between "Optimum Performance" and "Standard Performance" can usually reconfigure (cure) IRQs, DMA channels, and maybe I/O space conflicts in the blink of an eye and doesn`t overuse the already overused human brain.
Look for a bios adjustment (I forget the name) that alerts the detection of second or legacy video display cards. It`s quite possible That your Intensity Pro card is IRQ`ed exactly like it were only a video display card.
If I`m right on one of these it might even cure some known problem type motherboard install routines.

Return to posts index

andy prada
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:51:04 am

Fred...thank you for this. I will take your advice and report back when I've pondered a little more over the weekend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]