FORUMS: list search recent posts

RT Effects benefits?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Kondo
RT Effects benefits?
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:29:37 am

This is the first time I have posted to this particular forum. I did some searching but couldn't find an answer. It's quite possible that I'm not looking for the right issue. I did find one answer but it's from several years back and it was in relation to the Intensity Pro card.

On the BM website, on the Decklink Studio page, it makes the following statement:

"More HD Real Time Effects

DeckLink's super fast 2.5 Gb/s 1 lane PCI Express connection plugs directly into Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro's real time effects processing engine. Unlike FireWire products, you get all your CPU time dedicated to more multi layer HD real time effects. Only DeckLink Studio's high speed PCI Express lets you upgrade to HD without limiting your HD real time effects!"

What does that exactly mean? I'm possibly going to get a card. Outside of capturing and outputting, where else do I benefit from this card? For example, if I'm cutting DV, DVCProHD, and ProRes 422 and using filters and multiple tracks, will I see less render bars?

I'm using a late 2006 Mac Pro 2x2.66 dual-core, with Final Cut 7 and Snow Leopard.

Thanks for any help you can provide this novice.

Paul

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: RT Effects benefits?
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:19:25 am

As far as I can tell, this doesn't mean much at all. There's nothing real time about the interaction between BMD and Premiere. If your footage is ALL BMD codec, sometimes it will play back smoothly without dropping frames, maybe.

Not that it isn't, but I haven't really discovered what is RT with this HD Extreme card.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Paul Kondo
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:14:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback. When BM opens later today, I'm going to give them a buzz. I'll post back on what I hear.

Return to posts index

Paul Kondo
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:10:36 pm

I just spoke to BM. I asked them the specific question regarding the RT Effects info on their site. The guy knew exactly what I was getting at and almost didn't let me finish. It's all marketing speak. It does nothing to enhance RT Effects - it's just an I/O card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]