FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with the 7.5 drivers and Premiere

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Morrison
Problems with the 7.5 drivers and Premiere
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:25:49 pm

I recently upgraded to the 7.5 drivers and since then I've had major performance problems with my system. I can capture just fine, but when I try to play back my footage I get drop frame warnings in Premiere CS4 stopping all playback in the timeline (on both rendered projects and raw footage) and if I export to tape the footage is jerky. I am just working with uncompressed SD footage and I don't think this is hardware related at all since everything worked with the last driver set, but here's my hardware list just in case someone wants to know:

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA (motherboard)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (system drive)
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb x4 (RAID drives)
3ware 9650SE-4LPML KIT PCI Express Lanes: 4 SATA II Controller Card (RAID Controller - with everything set to maximum performance)
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (Cache Drive)
EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 (video card)
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (system memory)
Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W (power supply)
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Decklink Studio

speedtest for the raid - http://www.hallssalvage.com/raidspeed.gif
speedtest for the cache - http://www.hallssalvage.com/cachespeed.gif

Both of these drives are relatively empty too...

Everything is pretty much runnning the latest drivers/updates. I am assuming that the drivers altered some seting in Premiere but I've gone over everything and can't seem to find the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't figure out what else to try.

Return to posts index

Jeff Anderson
Re: Problems with the 7.5 drivers and Premiere
on Feb 11, 2010 at 11:49:11 pm

Our new system we got in late December which has 7.5 driver and CS4 Premiere running on Vista 64 is having problems like you describe. If we try and edit with any BlackMagic uncompressed SD codecs like 8bit, 10bit or MJEPG the video will be jerky on disolves. Plus it will not playback uncompressed AVI with an alpha channel. It's strange; you can see the video with the alpha channel when you step frame-by-frame through the timeline but it will not show up at all when you play on either premiere or Decklink monitors.

If we encode video as BlackMagic DV codec everything works fine. I'm not sure if it is Decklink hardware or Premiere causing issues. Using the BlackMagic speed test we have over 300MBs read speed and over 190MBs write speed. So I really don't think the disk raid is causing issues. Has anyone else ran into this problem?????

HP Z800 with Quad Core Processor
10GB Ram
2TB Raid 5 Internal storage
Adobe CS4
Visa Business 64
Decklink HD Extreme

Jeff Anderson

Return to posts index

christian urbanski
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:51:44 am

Yes,i reproduce the problem in our installation with win 7 x64 prof,cs4 and decklink 7.5.
Working under xs8600 and Fibber channel san disk (400mb read /250 write),we can capture well but it not possible to play fine.
Also if you use a tga o graphic with alpha the same problem appear.The preview is good in stop mode,but if you play the time line the tga or graphic not appear.
We submit the problem to bmd support and is working to solve it.We found a "temporal" solution---->apply to the tga sequence or graphic with alpa a effect MATE without any valour or anything,and now you can play fine the timeline with preview.

Return to posts index

Achilleas Thessalos
on Feb 13, 2010 at 11:11:31 pm

Same situation and for me....

DeckLink HD Extreme
Intensity Pro
Broadcast Converter

Return to posts index

Simão Lopes
on Feb 15, 2010 at 3:51:57 pm

7.5 are working like a charm on my setup ...

Although ... it's still missing a lower resolution on Media Express ...

Return to posts index

Jeff Anderson
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:51:27 pm

Can anyone with BlackMagic help resolve the issue we have??

Jeff Anderson

Return to posts index

Brett Howe
on Mar 18, 2010 at 5:28:58 am

Hi Matt

Did you end up sorting out your issue?

I'm looking at building a new suite here, and I was looking to use the same motherboard.

It seems there are compatability issues regarding the i7 and X58 chipsets...so I'm keen to see if you have it sorted.

Cheers

Brett

Brett Howe
Creative Director / Producer
Brave Vision Pty Ltd

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:13:13 pm

Hi Brett,

Well... after a full reinstall I finally got my system to function, but I do still occasionally suffer from these same problems. I've not tried the 7.5.2 drivers yet, mainly because I can't afford the downtime if I'm unable to get the system stabilized, but I'm hoping they will provide more dependability. Currently I only experience the problem on a very limited basis, but when the problem does pop up I usually have to dump that particular project and start again from scratch. Honestly I need to go through and update all my drivers/bios to see if I can completely resolve the issue, but I never seem to have a window of time to take the risk.

I was unaware of any compatibility issues with the i7 and X58 chipsets, are they specific to the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboards or do is the problem related specifically to the chipset? I googled the problem and noticed a few people that had performance issues with older chipset drivers, but once they upgraded to the latest versions their problems seemed to have been resolved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]