FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Extended Desktop still a huge problem

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Bacich
No Extended Desktop still a huge problem
on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:29:12 pm

I'll continue to keep this issue at the forefront by telling our Extended Desktop story...

Our studio has had equipment tied to Grant since before the BlackMagic days. We currently have 6 workstations with DeckLink HD cards, 2 MultiBridge Units, 1 VideoHub and several video converters. I have been stuck in upgrade limbo ever since the drivers came out at the end of last summer (in the US) that broke Extended Desktop compatibility.

The Extended Desktop feature has been an integral part of the workflow of our studio for many years! Of course we use our Blackmagic gear to layoff to HD and SD decks and to view previews in After Effects or FCP, but it is the other things that the Extended Desktop provide that we have wrapped our entire studio pipeline around. We operate in a small, open, "bullpen" style office that serves multiple purposes - animation/compositing workstations, client bay, presentation area, meeting area, lounge, conference room, machine room. We have 3 large LCD screens hanging throughout the office that are all fed by SDI cables from the video hub. This way, any of our workstations can use any one of these room monitors and can route to them directly from their computer.

When clients come in, we will throw up a 16x9 PDF on one of the big screens and run through our design presentations. We post web presentations for clients and the entire office will look through it on one of the big screens while we talk to the client on the phone. One of our animators might throw a couple of 1/2 sized quicktimes on the the big screen to show us what they have worked on for the day. The monitors are used daily to stream internet radio stations as background music for the office and (in addition to the music) we keep the browser on the Extended Desktop so we can all see what song is playing. I sometimes mirror my main working screen to one of these monitors so I can show a software program I am working in and explain a new software feature to the staff. I also mirror my main working monitor to the extended desktop so clients can see what I am doing in a program while they watch from the couch and help me make decisions on the fly (especially in 3D programs which don't output to the card directly). I might throw a finder window over to the Extended Desktop to explain a folder structure to my client or staff before giving them a disk of elements. My staff will throw a web browser on the Extended Desktop and play youtube and hulu clips during lunch for everyone to see. These are just a few of the ways we use it. The brilliance of the system is that any computer in the office can do any of these tasks with a simple VideoHub route and anything from the computer can be placed on the extended desktop and be put up on our presentation/room screens.

In short, we use the Extended Desktop all the time. The entire workflow of our office will change if I upgrade to the latest version of drivers and this feature is disabled. I understand there are technical reasons why you removed it. Please work around these issues and bring back this feature for those of us who heavily rely on it.

Thank you,
Marco Bacich
http://www.drivestudio.com

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: No Extended Desktop still a huge problem
on Feb 3, 2010 at 11:00:42 pm

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the very helpful feedback. We're monitoring this very closely and though I can't promise anything concrete right now, all I can say is that we're hearing this loud and clear.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Marco Bacich
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:29:56 am

Thanks for the response Kristian. I desperately hope you guys bring this back.

Marco Bacich
http://www.drivestudio.com

Return to posts index

Andre Racine
on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:52:11 pm

Brigning back the feature would be excellent news. We have 3 workstations that are used with the extended desktop all the time. It's an essential part of our workflow too. We're now in upgrade limbo (still in widows XP and on old drivers... so no new Media Express player either).

Return to posts index

Rich Morrant
on Feb 13, 2010 at 4:52:52 am

Oh bugger. If Only I'd known this before doing a software update.

Does anybody know how to revert to the old software?

Imagine putting your car in for a regular service, only to find afterwards that they took the power steering away, no explanation, fore warning or remedy.

Perhaps it is for legitimate reasons.

Return to posts index

Sandy Imhoff
on Feb 13, 2010 at 7:01:11 pm

I would really like to know this too. I would also like to know if that version works with Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Peter Schroeder
on Feb 5, 2010 at 5:11:49 pm

I miss it too !
what about writing a little extra app or pref pane to switch on & off the extended Desktop function, ?

to exclude it from the drivers !

i really hope someone solves this problem if blackmagic does not react
, im not a programmer but cant imagine it that hard to do
could this be done with the SDKs that are out ?

peter

Peter Schroeder
Director /Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Petz
on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:51:46 pm

i totally agree with that: please bring the extendend desctop back as soon as possible.
beleave it or not. the extendend desctop function was the main reason for me to buy a decklink again ( extreme3)

it is really a bad idea to remove a killerfeature that is so important for a lot of customers.

Decklink Extreme3 (
Sony Digibeta DVW-A500P and DVWA510P
nvidia gtx 260
ASUS P5WDG2 WS Professional
8GB RAM
QX 6850 quadcore extreme
Xp Prof. 64-BIT s
all patches and updatesAdobe Creative Suite Production Premium CS4

Return to posts index

Mike Halper
on Feb 16, 2010 at 1:00:56 am

The ability to turn on and off Extended Desktop was there before. It was in the Blackmagic Design pane in System Preferences. All you had to do was restart the computer. Not a big deal. I had no issue with restarting when about to use Color or any other non-Extended DesktopNow-compatible software. Now I have to find another solution to replace my Multibridge Pro 2 unless this gets resolved very soon.

It really makes no sense at all why the feature was removed. And since a major feature was removed I feel like I should get a partial refund on my investment.

-Mike

Return to posts index

Peter Schroeder
on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:26:01 pm

hi

still no extended desktop !?
are there any news ?

a tool to mirror one monitor would also be ok.
i still miss this function very much

come on guys@ blackmagic - do some magic and bring back the function !
its been over a year now ! do you still hear us ?

an extra software tool would maybe be better if you cant incorporate it with the drivers
awaiting your answer / response
thx
peter schroeder

Peter Schroeder
Director /Editor
Macpro 2x 3,2 Quadcore , os 10.6.2 FCP 7.01 8GB Blackmagic Decklink HD

Return to posts index

Phil minsk
on Mar 26, 2011 at 12:58:02 pm

Extended Desktop still not coming back after more than a year!
Can believe a serious company remove a so usefull function used dayly by customers : Autodesk Maya progressive rendering How? Modulo 8 for live cant used anymore for me .
I contact BlackMagic design twice and they have still the same boring answer..not sure its coming back
Just pay developpers to do this original feature coming back or refound clients
BlackMagic is playing with the time...

My last blackmagic card for sure if nothing change from Blackmagic support
I will buy Aja or Matrox even more expensive card or sdi adaptor

Return to posts index

Mike Feuer
on May 9, 2011 at 4:10:07 am

I have to say this is ridiculous at this point. We used to use extended desktop all the time also - We are going to be upgrading 7 AVID rooms fairly soon and will be making the switch also -

Too bad this great company is going to be losing us all slowly over this fairly minor insufficiency.

Let's get this together guys!

Mike@MindSmack.tv

Return to posts index

Phil Minsk
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:37:10 pm

I still not believe i cant use anymore my beautiful Flat Sdi JVC Monitor With Maya as rendering window...so much software i was using with this function
It possible to install a working extented desktop with Snow Leopard...but its not working in FCP Suite
So there is no issue with SL like Blackmagic told me the first time when i call them
Wanna a refund ! Blackmagic shame on you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]