FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMD user advice (general knowledge)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Peterson
BMD user advice (general knowledge)
on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:06:09 pm

I just went through a long year or so of using the Decklink HD Extreme 3 and running into every wall that BMD puts up. To be honest, the quality for the value is quite good, but the trick is that you have to be willing to work through some of the quirks on your own. Here's some things that I learned:

1. Cooling is a major issue. Working in high resolutions and in off resolutions really gets the processor on that card working. The heat coming off at times can make the SDI connectors hot to the touch. I'd pay attention to this, because there is a direct link to this and lockups, system reboots, even frame dropping. It is that important. I did notice early on that the fan would whine a lot when starting. I may risk a fan swap to a more powerful unit or even an oil cooling option, but that seems like a bit much. Mostly, just keep that puppy cool. Until I fix my card's fan and adjust my case fan layout, I have the case open and a good fan pointed directly at it.

2. There are a lot of quirks on PC platform, which is a little harder to develop for, overall. Mostly premiere will have some issues in the way it plays back clips and handles overlays. Some features just need to be rendered into BMD preview files before they look ok. If you see a problem with playback, try to adjust the footage slightly so that it will render (like a point of brightness or some other tiny adjustment). Render it and see if it still plays back funky.

3. When editing, don't do ANY kind of effects on the premiere timeline until you have your edit locked in. This will burn time pretty drastically. If you haven't noticed, BMD isn't good with much of anything in real time. When you have finished your edit with real time clips, then start in on a effects pass.

4. If your drivers are working, DON'T UPGRADE. The only reason to upgrade your driver is compatibility with a program you are using or new features you need for your work. Beyond that, upgrades are major danger.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
Re: BMD user advice (general knowledge)
on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:47:49 pm

2. There are a lot of quirks on PC platform, which is a little harder to develop for, overall. Mostly premiere will have some issues in the way it plays back clips and handles overlays. Some features just need to be rendered into BMD preview files before they look ok. If you see a problem with playback, try to adjust the footage slightly so that it will render (like a point of brightness or some other tiny adjustment). Render it and see if it still plays back funky.

I've also had to pull clips from the timeline and drop them back in to get them to work. Another trick for me is to change the in and out points of a clip by a couple of frames to get things to render properly.

4. If your drivers are working, DON'T UPGRADE. The only reason to upgrade your driver is compatibility with a program you are using or new features you need for your work. Beyond that, upgrades are major danger.

I can second this! I had a rock solid system on the 7.3.1 drivers but after my upgrade to 7.5 I've had all sorts of small issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]