FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latest drivers won't allow Premiere Pro project to open

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Whitney
Latest drivers won't allow Premiere Pro project to open
on Jan 30, 2010 at 10:37:16 pm

I posted this to BlackMagic's tech support as well but thought I'd try here as well.

I recently finished a project in Premier Pro CS3 and fortunately held off updating the MultiBridge Pro drivers to the most current. Today I removed what I was using (6.8.3 for the Multibridge Pro and 2.6.1 for the HDLink) and updated to the MultiBridge 7.5 and HDLink 3.3.2 drivers.

When I try to open my Premier project, I get a message box stating that the editing mode for the project could not be loaded and that it will use the Desktop mode instead. The project appears for a few moments then Premiere simply crashes w/o any further message.

I was able to open a smaller project but got the same message. It will play in Desktop mode but nothing is sent to the second monitor through the HDLink. I do get audio output via the BlackMagic hardware, but no video input if I select to capture. The HDLink does work if I playback a file through Media Express (using v1) however.

I thought perhaps creating a new project and importing might work, but when I select New Project in Premiere, there are NO BlackMagicDesign presets as there used to be. Project settings areas are grayed out and set to Desktop.

How do I resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
Re: Latest drivers won't allow Premiere Pro project to open
on Jan 31, 2010 at 5:29:45 pm

The first thing I'd try is uninstall and reinstall for the drivers. It seems like your blackmagic presets didn't make it to the right place.

The other option, in order to finish your project, is to revert to the older driver and get it done, then start experimenting with fixes.

I had an install once that did not install presets into premiere, but I don't remember trying to open a BMD timeline, I only noticed it from the lack of settings in the menu. A reinstall solved the problem.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:21:08 pm

Thanks. I'll give that a try or perhaps see if the Repair option does the trick.

Poking around last night I did notice under the Program Files/ BlackMagic... folder that there were presets in a ZIP file. I manually copied those to the appropriate spot under Premiere and that did give me the presets back. I'm also able to get Capture to work under Premiere. There's still something amiss though as the older project still won't open directly. Nor do I have 2nd monitor output in After Effects.

mark

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Jan 31, 2010 at 6:41:10 pm

Yeah, the variable here is the project file that was saved in the older driver. Don't know if that older setting is even compatible with the new driver. I'd say pull the settings from the directory, reinstall, make sure everything looks right with the new driver, then try to load that old project. Otherwise, just revert, finish the project and go back to step one. :)

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:31:29 pm

I turned off Zone Alarm (firewall app) and performed a Repair from the Multibridge_7.5.msi file. As with the first time yesterday, I get a Windows Installer error message after several Continue Anyway messages. I OK that error to close, but the installer continues anyway.

With Premiere, attempting to open the older project still crashes it. If I create a new, blank project and import the older project, everything does in fact import, but when I try to open the sequence, the timeline builds then crashes Premiere w/o a warning message.

Nor do I have any 2nd monitor output still in After Effects, also CS3.

As I mentioned earlier, fortunately the project is finished but there's a possibility that I'll have to create a textless version later on. I guess if that comes about I'll need to drop back to the BMD drivers I used with it.

In the meantime, perhaps I'll see if I can get any of the earlier 7.x drivers to work and get everything working fully. Hopefully I'll hear back from BMD's tech support as well.

Thanks again,

Mark

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Jan 31, 2010 at 8:45:53 pm

I hate to throw this option out there, but you may wish to uninstall and reinstall adobe software. I know, it sounds like a pain, but sometimes it helps and I guarantee support will tell you to do this before they will dig deeper.

Edit: while writing this list, I came up with a question, what version of premiere exactly (including update revision level) are you using? Is it compatible with this driver?

Be sure to turn off all antivirus entirely.

Uninstall BMD drivers.

Reboot.

Uninstall adobe.

Reboot.

Install adobe.

Reboot.

Install updates.

Reboot.

Install BMD driver.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:26:36 pm

I was hoping NOT to have to resort to that, but ...

I did forget to turn off AV software and I'll give that a try first as I'm having the same issues with the earlier 7.x driver versions.

For both Premiere and After Effects, they're the CS3 versions with the last updates either had available.

Specifically: AE CS3 Pro 8.0.2.27 dva 2.0.0.127845
and Premiere Pro CS3 3.2.0 (374)

I'll keep ya posted.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:29:59 am

As a follow-up test, I re-installed the 6.8.3 drivers and had no install error problems. The Premier project opened and played. AE gave me the option again to use the BlackMagic video output under Video preferences and it does in fact send video to the 2nd monitor. So at least I'm back to where I was & not dead in the water.

So, the issue actually seems to be when trying to install the 7.x drivers for some reason. I tried several previous 7.x versions back to 7.3.2 then gave up. I checked the error message last try and it's specific to msiexec. exe and more particularly to DeckInst.dll.

If I don't hear back from Tech Support in a few days I'll try contacting them directly.

M.

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:23:23 pm

As a last note to this subject, I spoke with Black Magic Designs tech support today.

The short answer is that they don't officially support Windows XP running via Boot Camp. I've Boot Camp 2.2 on the system.

I've been running my Multibridge system in that mode for 2 years now so it's a bit disheartening to run into this problem now with the 7.x updates. I asked for them to put in a feature request to support it, but of course can't really expect that to happen.

I thought I'd post this in case someone else runs into the same problem and wonders why.

Mark W.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:36:44 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. They don't seem to support XP really. Or at least I haven't discovered a magical cocktail of a computer that they won't tell you there's something unsupported about. At least with Mac it's hard for them to pull that argument. If you want support spend more and buy AJA or Matrox.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Feb 6, 2010 at 12:06:55 am

Matrox was horrible. They dropped full support for the full DigiSuite less than a year after it was introduced.

Boot Camp also won't allow XP to see more than 2 GB of system RAM on a Mac Pro either. I couldn't find anything definitive about that either until I spoke with Apple tech support.

At least I'm not dead in the water yet but will have start planning the next move I guess. It can either be migrate to Final Cut Studio, or make the next box a real Windows system. I've more invested into the Adobe products learning & plug-in wise at this point though.

Thanks,

M.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]