FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal Raid card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel pacheco
Internal Raid card
on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:52:55 pm

Hey I'm getting ready to build a raid in a mac pro, I need a raid card, Any suggestions?

[Mac pro early 2008, FCP 7, OSX.6, Hitachi Drives]

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Internal Raid card
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:59:28 pm

I personally don't suggest building an INTERNAL RAID - you can get lots of great external RAID cards, from companies like ATTO, Areca, and Cal Digit (and Highpoint). But let me assure you, the #1 mistake is to build an internal RAID and use the Apple (LSI Logic) internal Raid card. If you want to fail, you will use the Apple RAID card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mel pacheco
on Jan 31, 2010 at 1:55:07 am

Why exactly? I sort of torn, I don't want to be tied down to one manufacturer if i go with the caldigit and so on.

Why is an external raid better than an internal?

Thanks Bob, After reading many threads on this forum I really respect your opinion.

I will usually be working on personal projects ("Independent Films"), With a Sony EX1 and a DeckLink and hopefully a NanoFlash Soon, I mostly want a raid for capturing the best quality image I can get with the EX1 but will probably be editing offline, I only want the better image quality for color correcting and VFX Work which I will mostly do as image sequences, With that being said here is why I like the internal raid option.

1TB internal drives are inexpensive. So I can invest on a good raid card instead.

Don't think I need SAS ports, Don't plan on expanding the raid as only current projects will be on it.

Which is why I want eSata ports for back up and storage.

Do you really think I need and external more expensive solution? Based on my needs?

If not, Any good, compatible (Mac Pro early 2008, 10.6 FCP 7) and affordable internal raid controllers?

and last stupid question does a device exist that is a internal raid controller as well as a esata card (worth asking).

In advance, thanks and excuse my lack of knowledge. I want to tell stories and sometimes the technical stuff gets in the way.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Jan 30, 2010 at 8:21:28 pm

I use a highpoint card and I like it.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]