FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raid card Suggestion

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel pacheco
Raid card Suggestion
on Jan 23, 2010 at 11:00:16 pm

Hey guys, I want to have an internal raid in a 2008 mac pro.

Any Raid card suggestions? Is the areca 1110 card compatible, I know some cards have SAS ports, Do any have esata ports or do I have to get a PCI esata card as well if I want that functionality?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thank you.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Raid card Suggestion
on Jan 24, 2010 at 8:48:05 pm

don't get an internal raid. Do it right, and get an external RAID. There are wonderful Raid cards available from ATTO, and Areca for PCIe. It's great having an external SAS/SATA raid unit - no heat, no extra power draw. The Areca 1680x is the card you want if you want SAS expansion for multiple chassis, and the Areca 1221x is the card you want if you want just one chassis (with no expansion beyond 8 drives). For ATTO, you want the R380 for dual port, and the R348 for single port (which can run 128 external disk drives).

If you just want eSATA, and not RAID 5 SAS/SATA, cards from Sonnet, Cal Digit, Firmtek and Dulce Systems are teriffic. But its RAID 0, not RAID 5. Again, external drive array. And if you have the card slots available, yes - you can run both SAS/SATA and eSATA cards. A wonderful Cal Digit Fasta 2e is only $55.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mel pacheco
Re: Raid card Suggestion
on Jan 25, 2010 at 1:04:24 am

Thanks Bob, After reading many threads on this forum I really respect your opinion.

I will usually be working on personal projects ("Independent Films"), With a Sony EX1 and a DeckLink and hopefully a NanoFlash Soon, I mostly want a raid for capturing the best quality image I can get with the EX1 but will probably be editing offline, I only want the better image quality for color correcting and VFX Work which I will mostly do as image sequences, With that being said here is why I like the internal raid option.

1TB internal drives are inexpensive. So I can invest on a good raid card instead.

Don't think I need SAS ports, Don't plan on expanding the raid as only current projects will be on it.

Which is why I want eSata ports for back up and storage.

Do you really think I need and external more expensive solution? Based on my needs?

If not, Any good, compatible (Mac Pro early 2008, 10.6 FCP 7) and affordable internal raid controllers?

and last stupid question does a device exist that is a internal raid controller as well as a esata card (worth asking).

In advance, thanks and excuse my lack of knowledge. I want to tell stories and sometimes the technical stuff gets in the way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]