FORUMS: list search recent posts

just looking to monitor video

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
just looking to monitor video
on Jan 22, 2010 at 4:33:59 pm

What is the simplest/cheapest way that I can ouput to a production monitor from FCP in HD. I don't need to capture (but i'm sure most solutions include capture capabilities) but i do need the output to be able to handle different prores codecs in 1080.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
Re: just looking to monitor video
on Jan 22, 2010 at 8:52:54 pm

I believe the Decklink SDI is a good solution for your requirements.
It doesn't hardware based down conversions and the sort and it is 4:2:2 only, but at least it is 10bit, so you might find it attractive for its rather low 295$ price.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 24, 2010 at 8:50:21 pm

take a dvi output of your MAC, use Cinema PReview, and go into a Panasonic TH42PD12UK Plasma screen (you need an HD TV no matter what) - this is $749. If you get the Decklink SDI, you need an SDI monitor, or an analog component monitor that accepts HD analog component, AND a Blackmagic SDI to analog converter (about $450).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Jan 24, 2010 at 9:41:10 pm

Thanks Bob. If I go the dvi output route and with the panasonic plasma will the quality of the picture allow me to recognize any problems with my video before taking my video out of house for color correction?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:09:54 am

I do not understand your question. What kind of problems ?
You could own an $8000 CineTal Monitor, and an AJA Kona 3, and they are not going to tell you if your levels are illegal, or show you gamut errors. But lucky for you, Blackmagic makes the ULTRASCOPE, which will show you all kinds of stuff that is wrong with your video - and the ULTRASCOPE will show you more "problems" than the most expensive monitor on the market !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]