FORUMS: list search recent posts

New decklink sdi (raid question)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel pacheco
New decklink sdi (raid question)
on Jan 19, 2010 at 9:47:43 pm

I just got a decklink sdi, I have an early 2008 mac pro and using final cut pro 7, I would like to capture 10 bit uncompressed HD with a Sony ex1. My question is, in terms of speed (not expandability) what would be better and external raid or internal raid.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

nicky van der walt
Re: New decklink sdi (raid question)
on Jan 20, 2010 at 9:44:28 am

quick answer from me would be External Raid.

And I would suggest one of the higher end products from Caldigit (http://www.caldigit.com)

Not to sure about the compatibility with your specific machine though, because I'm running pc's in our facility.

Return to posts index

Mel pacheco
on Jan 20, 2010 at 3:15:31 pm

It just doesn't make sense to me that 4 internal drives with individual sata ports can't outperform 4 external drives bottle necking into one eSata port.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:37:18 pm

Depends what you need.

If just disk then it is eazy. Just slap in some 4 2tb drives and there you go. Separate drive for os.
This option does not have error tolerance if eny drives will fail.

And yes if you try to put same data through "one rope" so to say it will fail compared to internal drives.

Proper way would be with external array with raid 5 or 6.

With hd projects at hand i'd invest a bit or back up often.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Mel pacheco
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:28:32 pm

Thanks,

As for as speed goes, any big difference between software raid vs hardware raid. I know I should go hardware raid anyways, but I'm not sure which card to get yet because I don't wanna pay for features I'm not gonna use, and 1tb drives are so inexpensive, I just wanna get them first tosee what this decklink can do.

Any recommendations on raid cards for mac pro, just need internal raid and the apple raid card is just too much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]