FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digitising DV sources through Decklink Studio 2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ana lucia cuevas
Digitising DV sources through Decklink Studio 2
on Jan 15, 2010 at 5:12:49 pm

We are working on a documentary and are at post production stage.
Before starting we decided to move into a HD tapeless workflow, and so far things have gone well. We have shot on a Panasonic HPX 171E using P2 cards and a Firestore.
For the editing, we have recently upgraded to a Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio 6, and added a Black Magic Decklink Studio 2 to the hardware (for HD monitoring, and analogue ingest, as we need eg. to digitize some archive footage on DV tapes from a Sony PDF 170 camera and some VHS tapes).
We decided to recently go for the Black Magic card after doing some research on the Web, and therefore have no previous practice or experience on its capabilities/use.
We have attached a HD Video Monitor to the BM card, and it is working fine .
However, when it comes to digitizing from the PDF 170 camera, or the VHS, we are a bit lost. I have connected the camera through its
S-VHS connector to the Decklink Studio's S-VHS IN conector, and tried to digitize thorough Final Cut (Log and capture), but the camera is not being recognised. I have tried all alternatives without success. I am able to do it through the Computer's own Firewire connection and seems to work.

So we have some questions:
1) should we be able to take a signal from the S-VHS output on the camera through the S-VHS 'IN' on the Blackmagic card, and see it displayed?
2) if not, can we only do this through the Firewire 'OUT' of the camera into the Firewire on the front of our Mac Pro?
3) how can we best digitise materials coming from either an old VHS source?

Could anyone help ad provide some clarification around these issues?
Ana Lucia Cuevas - Armadillo Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]