FORUMS: list search recent posts

lowdown on 8-bit codecs

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hansen
lowdown on 8-bit codecs
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:30:38 pm

Running Intensity Pro for Mac.

So what is the lowdown on 8-bit uncompressed codecs? Is there a reason I cannot see or use 2vuy or 2Vuy in the firmware upgrades (3.3.1 and higher)? Were these obliterated on purpose?

I've tried installing, un-installing, re-installing but I usually have to end up back at the 3.2 drivers in order to work with the very proprietary codecs that the card is supposed to operate on.

What gives?

thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: lowdown on 8-bit codecs
on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:46:32 pm

Hi Dave,

Intensity Pro does not require any proprietary codecs at all. We simply capture to the standard 2vuy codecs as per Apple's Uncompressed 8-bit codecs and that's what is configured as the capture format when you select an uncompressed Intensity easy setup in Final Cut Pro.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

David Hansen
Re: lowdown on 8-bit codecs
on Jan 25, 2010 at 3:56:48 am

Perhaps I didn't clarify enough.

I began running the Intensity Pro somewhere around release 3.1. Based on the advice on your own website, I built my sequences using Blackmagic 8 Bit (2Vuy) and NOT Apple's built in codec. Ever since 3.3 your codec (2Vuy) seems to have been eliminated from the lineup.

Just to prove my theory I recently downloaded the 3.5.1 drivers. Again, no sign of the codec I used to build my sequences. If I now open up my Final Cut project it will give me an error that says "Codec Not Found. You may be using a codec without the corresponding hardware." Beyond that, it won't even open the specific timeline of those sequences. If I try to double click them, I get a memory error.

I repeat, there is NO Blackmagic 8 bit codec in the lineup for the Intensity Pro. I only get Blackmagic RGB 10 bit. I bought this product for editing uncompressed 8 bit.

So it appears my only hope it to switch back to 3.2, swap out every single sequence with a different codec and then re-render. Then re-upgrade the driver? Sorry, but that's just poor.

And wasn't your 8-bit codec supposedly better than Apple's, and without the questionable support for HD? Again, I got this from your site.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]